ISY 3-way programming

Finally needing to replace a Smarthome X10 switch, and happens to be a 3-way, with a master and slave. Its unfortunate, as physically, those are the best switches I've had.  So replaced the main switch with an Insteon, and capped the red traveler.  works just fine to control Kitchen.  I have removed the X10 "slave" switch, capped that traveler, and installed another Insteon there, attaching the white and black wires. lets call this switch Kitchen 3-way.  ISY 994 recognizes both these switches fine, and I can use ISY to control Kitchen.  Was going to write a program.. If kitchen 3-way is switched ON, control Kitchen to ON... and a similar one for off.  But it doesnt work.  What am I doing wrong?

Edit: solved

@arf1410 to help us help you please post the program you’re attempting currently. Right click on the program and select “Copy to Clipboard” then paste it in a reply. (Make sure you use COPY and not something else. It will paste as regular text.)

It sounds like you’d be better off making a “Kitchen scene” and just have them both turn the kitchen lights on…unless you have other items you’re trying to control. 

Was hoping to continue my previous post, but its been closed.

As stated, I got the 3-way to work fine, via 4 short programs.  Why would creating a scene be better? (which I dont really know how to do).

Wouldnt insteon's method be better, without getting the ISY involved at all? one less thing to screw up?

Scenes are more efficient than programs.

You would add each device into a scene as a Controller. When a device in a scene, or the scene itself, is turned on or off all the devices in that scene would also turn on or off.

Here's a link to a scene tutorial

ISY-99i/ISY-26 INSTEON:Working With Scenes - in-depth tutorial - Universal Devices, Inc. Wiki (universal-devices.com)

Edited by Techman
16 hours ago, arf1410 said:

Wouldnt insteon's method be better, without getting the ISY involved at all?

In fact, scenes ARE "Insteon's method".  And scenes, unlike programs, do not rely on ISY involvement.

16 hours ago, arf1410 said:

which I dont really know how to do

You are doing yourself a disservice by not using scenes.  This is a capability that makes Insteon better than any other protocol that I have tried.

• Like 1