Motion Senior 2 Battery Life

j.rieff

Just wondering if anyone has some good suggesitons on how to get a reasonable "long" battery life from Battery type 123 when using a Motion Sensor 2. I have several Motion Sensor 1's installed controlling outdoor lights like the driveway, patio, front door, etc. They are setup to trigger only at night. The 9v battery lasts quite a long time even in the furnace temps in the SW. I have 2 installations of Motion Sensor 2 controlling lights in hallways. The first one was installed as a Motion Sensor 1 because the ISY firmware had not been updated at the time of the installation. The 2nd Motion Sensor 2 is installed as a Motion Sensor 2 since it was installed after the firmware update. The traffic in both hallways is very similar. The first Mortion Sensor 2 battery will last as long as the 9v batteries in the Mation Sensor 1. I am lucky to get 4 weeks out of the battery in the 2nd Motion Sensor 2. Any suggestions?

Have you changed any of the parameters in the 2nd sensor?

What is  the 2nd sensor controlling?

You could try a factory reset, restore device on the 2nd sensor.  The batteries should last as long as the 1st sensor unless something is constantly triggering the sensor.

i changed 2 parameters - Ramp Up/Down time and the time interval for OFF.

The sensor is controlling lights in the hallway - 2-way switch configuration.

To the best of my knowledge nothing other than someone in the hallway is triggering an event. 

below is a page from some testing I did back in 2019 on the MSII current demand.

Upon motion the sensor comes out of "sleep mode" and consumes a fairly large current while awake for 5 sec or so.

Battery life will be directly related to the number of motions sensed.  Likely more in a Hallway of course.

Compare your settings of each sensor to see if one is different for some reason. 

I get fairly good battery life on mine but they are not used for Hallway type traffic.  On my sensors I turn the LED brightness as low as it will go.  Mine only report at night and only report the "On" to keep the number of wake cycles lower.

RPT1.JPG

It may not be possible for your installation but I plugged mine into an old iPhone charger and a micro usb cable from amazon. Installed it 6 months ago and have not thought about it since.

• Like 1