Is this V.35?

ergodic

Clue me in here:

I've starting seeing totally mysterious problems with a number of dimmers that have been working flawlessly up until recently. The problem first surfaced in a garage motion sensor, but has since "spread" to other places. I've done the usual unplugging, diagnostics, etc.

When the ISY shows a device has trouble communicating, I can't even do a restore-device on it; it tries and fails somewhere in the middle of the process. So I'll try the restore two or three times. Then go down to the device, do an air-gap reset and then the restore will complete instantly and perfectly: "click...click...click", no retries and no errors. But then, after some time, the **** device starts having the same troubles again.

So now I'm wondering, can this be () the Dreaded V.35 Problem? All of my SL dimmers are V.35 and have been in place about 18 months with no issues, at least until now. I don't see any comm issues on the KPLs. The place where this first showed up - the garage motion - is not an SL (a KPL), but it is on a branch with a ton of other lighting V.35 SLs.

If this isn't the V.35 issue, any ideas what it might be? When I originally asked SH about the V.35 problem they told me not to worry as long as the dimmers weren't showing any issues, but I'm also wondiering if that was a touch optimistic?

Hello ergodic,

Unfortunately what you're describing are classic symptoms of V35 dimmer(s). It might be just one of them causing all the trouble or it could be a few. The problem is that you would not know which one unless you take one offline (one at a time), test for a few days, and then move on to the next one.

At this point - and although quite painful - I do suggest replacing your SWL v35s.

With kind regards,

Michel

Michel:

As usual, thanks so much. I did speak to SH and they are quite agreeable about replacing them. I'm not looking forward to pulling 4 dozen dimmers but it sure beats pulling my hair.

Does this affect V.35 relays also? I forgot to ask them.

SH support did indicate some dispute about where the problem lies. They told me the ISY is the only PLM client that has this issue with V.35. So this is strictly idle curiousity on my part and I'm sure SH isn't sharing details of their firmware, but have you any sense about where the issue originates from?

It just seems weird to me that functioning switches would 'degrade' after 18 months because of firmware. It sort of suggests a faulty hardware component, no? But then I'd assume everything would have a problem.

Hello ergodic,

My pleasure. Yes, the relays have the same firmware and thus may exhibit the same problem in the future.

As far as the issue being ISY/PLM related, suffice it to say that if it were an ISY/PLM problem, then a) why would you have the same problems if you unplugged ISY/PLM? and B) knowing SH's replacement policies, why would they replace devices if the problem was with third party software/hardware?

Simply put: we are used to being blamed for all SH and SHN product ills!

With kind regards,

Michel

Well, I've just finished replacing all the V35 dimmers and everything's back to working 100%. A full house query completes in 15 seconds again.

SH doesn't have the SL relays in stock but they don't seem to be causing a problem right now so I'll swap just them out in a week or two when they're available.

Why a firmware issue would cause a problem to show up after a year is beyond my ability to comprehend, but whatever, these things are definitely EVIL!

Hello ergodic,

Thanks so very much for the update. The problem is hardware related and not firmware.

I also want to thank you for your great write up on If/Then/Else programming. It's an excellent reference and, if you do not mind, we would like to put a link to it in our Wiki.

Thanks again and with kind regards,

Michel

Archived