Plugin Doesn't Add Node for Ceiling Fan with Bond Built-In

Go to solution Solved by oneklakes,

I bought a new Minka Aire smart ceiling fan that has Bond support built in. I added it to my existing Bond bridge and it shows up in the Bond app. However, I can't seem to get the plugin to discover it and create a node for it. I've power cycled the bridge and pressed "discover" and that did not work. I tried that again after restarting the plugin and that didn't work either. Any suggestions would be much appreciated! Thanks! (Running IOX 5.8.4, Bond Plugin 3.2.14; PG3X 3.2.27)

• Solution

OK, I finally got it to work! My lessons learned:

1. You need to power cycle the fan and put it in "discover" mode (hold the off button on remote until the fan jogs and the light blinks) before pressing "discover" in the plugin.
  2. I manually entered the IP address and token of the device in plugin. For whatever reason, the local address for the fan did not work for me (kept getting an error message in the plugin).
  3. Be careful not to have any spaces between the IP addresses and token numbers for each bridge and device. 

Hope the above is helpful.

• Thanks 1
  • 3 weeks later...

As to # 1, in order for the automagic discovery process to work (i.e., no manual specification of hostname/IP addresses and tokens in Custom Configuration Parameters), your Bridges and/or SBB devices must be "unlocked" in order for the local access token values to be discoverable. This is done by power cycling the device (see the installation instructions in the release notes for more info). 

As to #2, when using the automagic discovery process, if the mDNS query returns an IP address, the discovery process will use it. If not, it will use the hostname, which is usually a *.local (zeroconf) name. While this has always worked flawlessly on my network, for some reason many don't have much luck with .local names, so IP address is the preferred method.

As to #3, I have updated the code to strip spaces from the hostnames and tokens in the Custom Configuration Parameter values. That code should roll out in the next release.

Edited by Goose66