EISY - Graceful shutdown on power loss

Go to solution Solved by paulbates,

Anyone know how to get the EISY to shutdown gracefully before the UPS runs out?  I am thinking that it should be possible to do with NUT or ApcUpsd like other Linux boxes?

Seems like not a good idea to just cut the power to the thing...any thoughts?

Thanks.

While there is an iox restart program statement (and it's not recommended) there is not a shutdown statement. It's run on BSD Linux, so it's technically possible.

Having said that, I went through more power outs on my 994i and raspberry Pi original node servers than I can remember and they came back up. Only a couple outages at my new house on eisy, same thing, came up.

What was important was "init" variables in iox programs so particular monitor and control functions stayed whole.

1 hour ago, paulbates said:

While there is an iox restart program statement (and it's not recommended) there is not a shutdown statement. It's run on BSD Linux, so it's technically possible.

Having said that, I went through more power outs on my 994i and raspberry Pi original node servers than I can remember and they came back up. Only a couple outages at my new house on eisy, same thing, came up.

What was important was "init" variables in iox programs so particular monitor and control functions stayed whole.

Yes, I have had a few outages since getting the EISY and it has come back up as well.  I think the risk is low...but since I have it plugged into a UPS, and I already have several programs running on my various servers and RPI devices that take care of UPS control during an outage I figured I might as well add the EISY if it is possible.

Thanks. 

• Solution

It would be the same approach as your other servers and Rpis. SSH in to the eisy, create python or other method to detect the UPS's mode and issue command line to shut it down. I google searched "shut down freebsd" and specific command line examples were returned. 

• 5 weeks later...
On 8/18/2024 at 6:46 AM, paulbates said:

It would be the same approach as your other servers and Rpis. SSH in to the eisy, create python or other method to detect the UPS's mode and issue command line to shut it down. I google searched "shut down freebsd" and specific command line examples were returned. 

Thanks for the info...I will give it a try and see if I can get APCUPSD to work on it.