Recommendations for RTSP Video Surveillance Camera

GHenry

What video surveillance cameras do you suggest for use with eisy/HomeKit (planning ahead…)?  I believe one requirement is RTSP support, right?

I asked my AI for a list of video surveillance cameras that support RTSP.  Trusting AI (not!), I’m asking the forum for suggestions.  AI gave me the following list; is it on-point, or off the mark?

• Reolink RLC-810A
  • Reolink RLC-811WA
  • Topodome RTSP WiFi Bullet Camera
  • Topodome 940nm RTSP PTZ Camera
  • Alptop 8MP 4K PTZ IP PoE Dome Camera
  • SV3C PTZ Outdoor WiFi Camera
  • ZOSI 4K PoE Security IP Camera
  • Amcrest cameras
  • UniFi cameras

Any suggestions welcome; thanks in advance!

I'm using 3 Reolink E1 Outdoor Pros and their wired doorbell with Blue Iris (NVR software). I can also view all 4 cams on my Roku TV's with an app available in their channel store. All 4 cams show up in each of my TV's screensaver as well. :lol:

I have not integrated them into my Polisy, although it might be possible as they are all capable of RTSP. I also know that some Reolink cameras are not RTSP capable. I like Reolink - they are subscription free and just work well for a mid-priced camera.

As for your list of cameras, try visiting their manufacturer's website for their specs.

Also, see this thread for some ideas:

I have several reolinc cameras.  I have them working with alexa, google, and the ipcamviewer app on both android and alexa, with direct connections (not cloud-based) through static ip addresses and port forwarding.  This makes me think that it should work with ud mobile.  Unfortunately, I have never figured out how to make it work with ud mobile.  Still, it may be my minimal skills in this area that comes into play.  Maybe I just donkt have the necessary stream address for these cameras .

2 hours ago, oberkc said:

Maybe I just donkt have the necessary stream address for these cameras .

The stream address I use for my Roku's is the one provided by Blue Iris and not the cameras directly. Nothing goes to the cloud here, and I don't have any ports forwarded.

You can use VLC to test various direct streams from your Reolink cameras. The Reolink website has a few good tutorials that show you how to discover them and make that happen based on the model cam you have.

8 hours ago, Athlon said:

You can use VLC to test various direct streams from your Reolink cameras

Yes, I can view the cameras via VLC, but this is a local IP address.  The problem that I experience seems to be when I tried such an address in ud mobile I had less success and could not get this to work from outside my network using the external ports I have reserved and forwarded for each of the cameras.  

It has been a while since I have last tried, and I was not extremely motivated to get this working, since I already had a viable option for viewing via IPCamViewer app.  Maybe I will give it another try.