Heat/Cool State is incorrect

Hi all.  This is my first post after using ISY994 since 2014 or so.  I just upgraded to EISY (new) using 2413U (new).  I had no problems implementing the new setup.  I do find the new 2413U seems to be way more stable than the old 2413S that I had purchased 10 years ago.  No comparison.

Firmware: IoX v.5.8.4

UI: IoX v.5.8.4

However, I now have an issue I am unable to solve it seems.  The Heat/Cool state is showing that when Mode = Heat, the Heat/Cool state shows Cooling.  It shows the same in the UD Mobile app and the Admin Console.  The thermostats are 2441TH.  I have 2 furnaces (I cannot stress enough that this only happened after EISY upgrade).  BOTH thermostats for the furnaces are now responding in the same way.  The thermostat shows Heating (which is correct and fine) and not Cooling when you increase temperature to kick on the furnace.  The furnace works as it should.  I know both of these furnaces inside out and nothing has changed regarding wiring to the thermostats.

When HEATING, If I select the Cool Ctl, it shows Status On.  The Heat Ctl also shows Status On.  That's a real first (when Cool Ctl should be OFF).

I can assure you that I feel I have tried everything.  Restore PLM.  Restore Device.  Nothing helps.

If anybody knows where I have obviously done something wrong, then please do share.

The only thing different now is that I created a Scene with a 2441ZTH wireless version (which is actually powered with 5V) to each of the 2441TH's (two furnaces therefore two 2441TH's each with wireless ZTH - just to be clear). Switching back and forth with Master works on the ZTH with the TH.  I also have the correct time on the 2441ZTH.

Cheers

1 hour ago, Mitch said:

Hi all.  This is my first post after using ISY994 since 2014 or so.  I just upgraded to EISY (new) using 2413U (new).  I had no problems implementing the new setup.  I do find the new 2413U seems to be way more stable than the old 2413S that I had purchased 10 years ago.  No comparison.

Firmware: IoX v.5.8.4

UI: IoX v.5.8.4

However, I now have an issue I am unable to solve it seems.  The Heat/Cool state is showing that when Mode = Heat, the Heat/Cool state shows Cooling.  It shows the same in the UD Mobile app and the Admin Console.  The thermostats are 2441TH.  I have 2 furnaces (I cannot stress enough that this only happened after EISY upgrade).  BOTH thermostats for the furnaces are now responding in the same way.  The thermostat shows Heating (which is correct and fine) and not Cooling when you increase temperature to kick on the furnace.  The furnace works as it should.  I know both of these furnaces inside out and nothing has changed regarding wiring to the thermostats.

When HEATING, If I select the Cool Ctl, it shows Status On.  The Heat Ctl also shows Status On.  That's a real first (when Cool Ctl should be OFF).

I can assure you that I feel I have tried everything.  Restore PLM.  Restore Device.  Nothing helps.

If anybody knows where I have obviously done something wrong, then please do share.

The only thing different now is that I created a Scene with a 2441ZTH wireless version (which is actually powered with 5V) to each of the 2441TH's (two furnaces therefore two 2441TH's each with wireless ZTH - just to be clear). Switching back and forth with Master works on the ZTH with the TH.  I also have the correct time on the 2441ZTH.

Cheers

I would put one in linking mode, right click on it in iox (admin console) and pick restore device. Test it again. If it works, do it for the other one

• Like 1

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.  I put one 2441TH in linking mode and did the restore device.  The 2441TH remained with a large 1 and it said Cooling after the restore. I had to press the Set button to exit after restore was done. In other words, nothing changed.

I increased the temperature and it still says Heat/State = Cooling,  Mode = Heat.  Not sure... hmmmm...

I would also like to say that when I turn down the heat on the thermostat to match the temperature of the room, the Heat/State = Idle, Mode = Heat.  So Idle is good... but when I put the heat back up it repeats the problem.

Edited by Mitch

The behavior is definitely odd. I had a short experience with 2441TH in 2012 for a few weeks. More than once I had to pull the power lead and restart it because of flaky behavior. I know you said you've had no problems previously but I would try the following things:

• Pull the power lead, wait 10 seconds and repower it, see what happens
  • If that doesn't work: factory reset it, power off, wait 10 seconds and repower, followed by put it in linking mode and restore device
  • Like 1

@Mitch You stated that you know this system well and that nothing has changed, but then you mention that each thermostat is now connected to a wireless device. 

Which device is actually connected to the ISY? Or is it  the wireless device?  I assume the wireless device actually "controls" the actual thermostat?  Just trying to understand it better. 

Have you tried factory resetting the 2441TH? 

1. Factory Reset

1. 1)  Press and hold Insteon Thermostat’s Set button until it beeps.

Insteon Thermostat will beep.

Insteon Thermostat Set LED will blink green.

2. 2)  Press and hold Insteon Thermostat’s Set button again until it beeps.

Insteon Thermostat will beep.

Insteon Thermostat Set LED will blink red.

3. 3)  Double-tap Set button.

4. 4)  Press and hold Set button again for about 10 seconds.

Insteon Thermostat will emit a long beep and its display will blink all segments.

5. 5)  When blinking/buzzing stops, release Set button and wait 10 seconds.

Insteon Thermostat will perform a series of self tests, then return to normal operations. Insteon Thermostat display will return to normal.

I also dont quite understand why you have the ZTH hooked up to the TH? Doest the ZTH run a thermostat on its own? I see from the Owners manual --> http://cache.insteon.com/documentation/2441ZTH-en.pdf

Adding Insteon Wireless Thermostat to an Insteon Thermostat

Link Insteon Wireless Thermostat to Insteon Thermostat to provide a portable thermostat wherever you want temperature control. You can add up to two Insteon Wireless Thermostats to an Insteon Thermostat.

Where I am going with this, is are you sure that you havent created some strange loop or feedback that is confusing the ISY?

You may want to start over with these devices by deleting an re-adding them. 

Hi everybody.  Thanks for your reply.  Please let me fiddle some more and I will post my findings.  To clarify: Two furnaces wired directly with two 2441TH (one for each furnace) the way it always was for 10 years before upgrade to EISY.  I recently purchased two (2) ZTH versions and one is used for one furnace and one is used for the other furnace.   I have the ZTH's hooked up to monitor a different room.  If I hold the Master button on the ZTH, it will be set master.  If I hold the TH as Master, then that one becomes Master.  Therefore the ZTH's are behaving like they should according to me otherwise they wouldn't be synced.

Even if I disable the ZTH's, I still have the issue.  Short of deleting things and starting over... that's most likely my next route to take.

Cheers

@dbwarner5  I will certainly try what you said.  I followed the manual to set up the ZTH's.  As mentioned, Master wouldn't work back and forth if they weren't talking with each other which they seem to do.  I am able to control the TH with the ZTH for that particular furnace.  I cannot stress this enough how I appreciate the help.  

• Like 1

I did Factory reset on 2441TH.  The TH did everything that it was supposed to do - and it reset.  I then disabled the other ZTH thermostat so it wouldn't communicate with  that TH.  Here's where things stand:

Mode = Heat.  The furnace is heating and working like before.  However, the difference now is the Heat/State = Idle after a Query on the TH. The problem is that it not in Idle.  The furnace is heating.  At least it isn't saying that it's cooling in the Heat/State box :-).  Hmmmm

The Admin Console also for the TH says:

Cool Ctl = Off

Heat Ctl = Off

As mentioned... it's heating... 

I might try deleting things and starting over.  I just wanted to post my findings.

Edited by Mitch