What cool things have you done with the ISY-26?

kcrossley

Great topic!

I started off using my ISY-26 for some basic tasks, but lately I've been giving it a bit more work to do. Currently, it does the following for me:

- use it to manage/link all my Insteon devices

- turn my front door lights on at sunset, then back off later in the evening

- turn on my inside and outdoor holiday lighting at sunset, then back off later in the evening

- translates my X10 keychain remote to turn on my driveway & front door lights from the car

- translates my X10 motion sensor to turn on my driveway lights when motion is detected at night, then turn them back off 5 mins later

- allows me to double-tap certain light switches to turn on or off entire rooms (bathrooms, etc.)

- sets lighting scenes in rooms via KPL secondaries, and keeps the LED lit unless the lighting changes (see: http://forum.universal-devices.com/view ... highlight= )

- turns off entire floors via KPL secondaries, and lights the LED if a light on that floor is on (see: http://forum.universal-devices.com/view ... highlight= )

th_Night_and_Day.jpg

:D

I also use timers, double-taps, and lamp statuses to control most of our common area lights.

Rand

Thats really nice..... I had thought of suggesting something like that for my father in-laws outdoor railroad garden.

So I don't own an ISY as of yet, but here is what I plan to do with it once I get it....waiting on 99ir

1. Master bath lights: If after 9:00 pm and before 7:00 am, and Master badroom main light is off, turn master-bath light on at 25%.

2. If Master-bathrooom lights are off, turn two outletlincs (in master bath) off. If Master Bath lights are on, turn two outlet lincs on (prevents curling iron and flat iron from accidentally being left on all day).

3. If after 10:00 pm and before sun-rise and guest bedroom light is single-pressed, turn hallway light on 25%, and guest bathroom light on 25%. If guest light is double pressed, turn guest bedroom light on 60%.

4. If Nursery key is pressed (keypadlinc) in master bedroom after 11:00 pm and before sunrise turn hall light on 25%, and nursery on 50% with a 15 second ramp rate (for nursery only)

5. When nursery light is turned on/off, use a longer ramp rate (not sure what this should be yet, but I am sure the wife will have an opinion on this).

6. Integration with my home theater and Harmony 1000 (turn lights on/off when watch dvd is pressed, turn hallway light and powder room light on (with ramp rates) if pause is pressed while watching DVD, etc.

So not sure any of this falls under the "cool" category, but certainly functional....again, I don't own the ISY yet, so I haven't done any of this....hopefully it is all fairly easy to do....Would be interested to find out what some of you think about these ideas...

Digger, Thank you.

When I took those pictures I had three LampLincs controlling transformers for the model lights. Stores, apartments, and streetlights. I have added another LampLinc for background lights.

I use three SwitchLincs for tracklights and room lights.

I use four scenes, Midnight, Dawn, Daytime, and Evening.

I am using 9 minute ramp rates. One does not notice for several minutes that the lights have changed :D I say nine minutes but some lights use more or less minutes. For example, the streetlights turn on quickly at dusk and linger on after dawn.

The Evening lighting scheme is most popular as far as a fixed setting goes. All the lights are on. To the casual observer I skip the Midnight scene. We reserve the Midnight scene for, you guessed it, midnight. Run through the night :wink:

So I don't own an ISY as of yet, but here is what I plan to do with it once I get it....waiting on 99ir

1. Master bath lights: If after 9:00 pm and before 7:00 am, and Master badroom main light is off, turn master-bath light on at 25%.

2. If Master-bathrooom lights are off, turn two outletlincs (in master bath) off. If Master Bath lights are on, turn two outlet lincs on (prevents curling iron and flat iron from accidentally being left on all day).

3. If after 10:00 pm and before sun-rise and guest bedroom light is single-pressed, turn hallway light on 25%, and guest bathroom light on 25%. If guest light is double pressed, turn guest bedroom light on 60%.

4. If Nursery key is pressed (keypadlinc) in master bedroom after 11:00 pm and before sunrise turn hall light on 25%, and nursery on 50% with a 15 second ramp rate (for nursery only)

5. When nursery light is turned on/off, use a longer ramp rate (not sure what this should be yet, but I am sure the wife will have an opinion on this).

6. Integration with my home theater and Harmony 1000 (turn lights on/off when watch dvd is pressed, turn hallway light and powder room light on (with ramp rates) if pause is pressed while watching DVD, etc.

So not sure any of this falls under the "cool" category, but certainly functional....again, I don't own the ISY yet, so I haven't done any of this....hopefully it is all fairly easy to do....Would be interested to find out what some of you think about these ideas...

Very good ideas!

1. The local level would have to be set at 25% (more likely 30-35%) and during the daylight hours a brighter setting could be called.

2. I would use a separate switch for the outlets. Or a double-tap on. Perhaps a timer to turn them off.

3. The switch should turn on the room light first. Don't start confusing me. You could use a double-tap for the hallway. You may want to leave the bath up to the guest.

4. Will definitely need adjustment... I would be more inclined to use sunset/sunrise than a specific time. This will take some experience & experiment.

5. Yes, get the better half involved. She may need one scene for feeding, another for diaper changing, another for a panicked little one, and one more for Good Morning!

6. I suggest here also the bath should be left to the guest. I turn on the hall and the kitchen :)

Thank you,

Rand

th_Night_and_Day.jpg

:D

I also use timers, double-taps, and lamp statuses to control most of our common area lights.

Rand

in case she does not do it enough - i wanna remind you

you have a gem of a wife - toys AND she lets you annoy her with home automation

cool setup

Archived