Trouble With IOLinc and Garage Door Opener

Joe B

• 2 months later...

Ok, now my turn. :lol:

I just got this. Im having the same issue, the off command on the relay will not close the garage.

Ok, what I want are the usual, On and off by the isy and when manually turned on or off by the door opener, i can also close or open with the isy.

I have factory reset it, The sensor works fine, on wihen its open and off when its not. I can open the door with on command with isy and close it by pressing on again. Just cant use the off command.

I tried messing with the set options, but would like a little guidance.

Is it supposed to be in momentary c?

I tried using the relay follows input, but I couldnt open manually with the opener.

Thanks

the off command on the relay will not close the garage.

How are you sending the "off" command?

I found the instructions on the wiki:

http://www.universal-devices.com/mwiki/index.php?title=ISY-99i/ISY-26_INSTEON:Garage_Door_Kit'>http://www.universal-devices.com/mwiki/index.php?title=ISY-99i/ISY-26_INSTEON:Garage_Door_Kit

and the instructions in the IOLinc options:

http://www.universal-devices.com/mwiki/index.php?title=ISY-99i/ISY-26_INSTEON:Linking_an_I/O_Linc

to be better than anything that I can write up.

Momentary C is defined as:

"Look at Sensor - If the sensor is On the relay will close momentarily when an On command is received. If the sensor is Off the relay will close momentarily when an Off command is received. "

What is your sensor status when the door is open? If your sensor is "on" then an off command will not do anything if you IOLinc is in momentary C. Try momentary A and see if this clears anything up.

Without knowing a few more details about your setup (what is it that you are trying to do, with what device are you trying to control your garage door, how do you have your IOLinc wired, what sensor are you using, does door closed show off or on, etc...), I find it difficult to offer specific suggestions on how to configure your IOLinc, what scenes to create, if any, or what programs to write, if any.

I have two garage doors. Each is controlled by a single button on each of two keypads. The button shows status (on is open) and I can open or close from them. I used the outstanding writeup from here:

http://www.universal-devices.com/mwiki/index.php?title=ISY-99i/ISY-26_INSTEON:Garage_Door_Kit

The general theory is to set your keypad to non-toggle off. Create a scene with the keypad button as controller and IOLinc as responder. Create another scene with the relay as controller and the same keypad button as responder. Set the relay at momentary A (responding to either on or off commands from the keypad). I believe you also have to wire your sensor such that open gives a relay as on status, which is backwards from the instructions included with the kit, if I recall.

Hey thanks for the response.

I not worrying about scenes or programs right now, I guess I just want to know what to expect. Maybe I dont know, but I just thought after I open the garage door by pressing on under the relay in the ISY, if I press off it should close. Thats all my expectations are at the moment. The sensor works fine.

I eventually want to run an all off program, but if the garage door wont close by pressing off, i guess this is a problem.

I have black and red wires to the I/O. The led is off when the garage door closes and when it is open under relay and sensor it says on.

I am using momentary A at the moment and it is not responding to the off button being pushed under relay in the ISY.

Im using the smarthome i/o linc garage kit.

Thanks for any advice and help

From the online I/O Linc user Guide.

Momentary A

Either an ON or an OFF can be programmed to trigger the I/O Linc relay. The other command will be ignored.

Momentary B

Send either an ON or an OFF to trigger the I/O Linc relay. The I/O Linc relay will respond to both

It would seem Momentary B is what is needed for the I/O Linc relay to respond to both On and Off commands.

Keep in mind that the relay is simply closing its circuit to make the door move. The relay does not do something special to make the door open versus make the door close. If the door is closed and the relay energized the door will open. If the door is open and the relay is energized the door will close.

Ok dont know why Im having a hard time with this

Tried Momentary B per LeeG suggestion. Opens with a on command.

Does not close with an off command.

So the circuit is getting closed with the on command but not the off.

What Im I doing wrong here guys?

Are you perhaps testing through the Admin Console to send On and Off commands to the I/O Linc Relay node. I have found the Insteon Direct commands the Admin Console uses for all devices when working with a specific device do not react the same as Inteon Group commands used for Scenes.

Controlling a Scene, either through the Admin Console or KeypadLinc button, with On and Off commands does trigger the I/O Linc relay in Momentary B mode on my I/O Linc. The Admin Console using the I/O Linc relay node does not turn On the relay with the Off command. The I/O Linc Momentary mode appears to apply only to Scenes (Group commands) and NOT Insteon Direct command Off commands.

• 1 year later...

Hello, I just installed the I/O Linc Insteon Garage Door Control & Status kit and have the same exact issue as me23.

Garage status works fine, Off = closed, On = open. But the I/O Linc relay (garage opener) only responds to ISY "ON" commands for opening and closing. "OFF" does nothing.

Is there a fix to this? Or do I just have to accept it?

Thanks!

cabbage

How are you turning the I/O Linc Relay On? A Direct command (which it sounds like) or as a Responder of a Scene. The I/O Linc Relay is used in one of the Momentary modes to simulate a manual garage door button press. When using Direct commands the I/O Linc Relay always turns On with an ON command. Since the relay turns Off automatically in a few seconds the OFF command performs no function. To have the I/O Linc Relay respond to the ON/OFF commands as described in the various Momentary modes the I/O Linc Relay must be linked as a Responder to a Scene and turn the Scene On/Off.

Lee

cabbage

How are you turning the I/O Linc Relay On? A Direct command (which it sounds like) or as a Responder of a Scene. The I/O Linc Relay is used in one of the Momentary modes to simulate a manual garage door button press. When using Direct commands the I/O Linc Relay always turns On with an ON command. Since the relay turns Off automatically in a few seconds the OFF command performs no function. To have the I/O Linc Relay respond to the ON/OFF commands as described in the various Momentary modes the I/O Linc Relay must be linked as a Responder to a Scene and turn the Scene On/Off.

Lee

Hello Lee, yes, Direct command via ISY. And I get what you mean by simulating a manual garage door button.

Thank you for clarifying!