Multiple ECM-1240's

Wayne,

Got it. Do you actually use ISY at all to communicate with at least one of these devices?

With kind regards,

Michel

Michel,

Currently ISY and energy management are physically independant of each other. I left it that way as it wasn't any use to monitor only half of my circuits and I had hoped that at some point ISY would support multi ECM's.

All energy management decisions are entered into ISY manually based on my observations of historical usage and my requirements, obviously nothing with real time intelligence but I will develop those once the connections with both ECM's are in place. After spending a few years refining my own personal energy management

plan I have a few ideas about what I want but until I get something that enables reaction to real time events its hard to know how exactly its going to work out.

Regards,

Wayne

Michel,

I read on the Brultech forum that the new 32 channel model will be released by the end of Feb 20212. Would you be able to reach out to me via PM, to discuss what the upgrade costs will be for the new hardware platform? As I have several concerns with respect to the existing plug-ins I recently purchased for the ISY-99i Pro.

I wanted to make sure if I pursue this new hardware path that the existing plug-ins would be part of the upgrade process. As the initial costs for this new 32 channel Brultech device even before all the CT's that are required will be more than $300 plus. Taking account the added costs for the CT's it will push the initial purchase for the Brultech system upwards of $565.XX

Just trying to manage my finances given the tight economic situation we are all currently in. :oops:

Teken . . .

Hi Teken,

Apologies for tardy reply.

All modules shall be ported over to 994 free of charge. We have not setup pricing yet nor do I think we'll be able to support the 32 channel Burltech right of the bat since we have not yet seen the APIs.

With kind regards,

Michel

Shall I wait for your beta support first? If so, not to worry I can definitely wait till the UDI team has a chance to see the new API.

As always thank you for your continued support and insight.

Teken . . .

• 3 months later...

With multiple 1240s and a zigbee enabled isy, would the etherbee still work or can the ecm-1240s only talk to one device?

I currently have 2 1240s that talk to the etherbee, which then gets related to a program on my router and then from there distributed to a few power monitoring places. Due to the ISY module not supporting more than one devices over tcp, I have to take the data and splice two data feeds into a single feed (basically I add up some of the circuits, as if I only had one ecm with each port monitoring more circuits). This is sub optimal and would love a more robust solution.

Ultimately I would love to have the isy be able to do what the program on my router is doing (reading the ecm data and sending it off to various graphing places). I would also like to be able to set alerts up like, for example, reading the usage of the stove and detecting if it's been on for a long time and sending off an alert.

Hello capsterx,

With 994iZ, no longer do you need the EtherBee (actually you must unplug it otherwise your ECMs will continue joining its network).

ISY supports multiple energy management portals (MobiLinc Energy, Check-It, Best Buy, Green Net) and does publish its information directly to those portals.

You can have programs based on the parameters for each ECM.

With kind regards,

Michel

One of the things I like about my current setup is that I can use the official brultech configuration tools and isy (though limited due to not handling more than one) and my own uploaders. I assume that the 994i would not open a connection in a way that would allow the windows brultech stuff to talk to the ecm-1240? (IE, I'd have to turn back on the etherbee and disable isy or use a serial connection?)

Hello capsterx,

In 994iZ configuration, ISY becomes the coordinator for the Zigbee network (so you do not need EtherBee anymore), this said, ISY does not provide the same interface as EtherBee and thus none of your windows programs will work.

With kind regards,

Michel

I recently replaced my 99 with a 994 non-Z version. I have one Brultech 1240 that is NOT zwave enabled. I would like to get the ISY talking to the 1240. I have the Brultech setup with the EP1 so it is ip enabled.

I would also like to forward my data to something like Check-It.

Not sure what I need to do to enable this.

Hello mohansen,

Under Electricity | Modules | Electricity Meter Settings:

1. Choose Brultech ECM1240 (not the Zigbee one)

2. Enter the IP address of Etherbee (usually port 50000)

3. Make sure your Ehterbee is setup as server

If you have the Check-it portal, the packets are automatically routed to the portal.

With kind regards,

Michel

• 5 months later...

Good day. I am planning on getting an ISY 994 soon and want to be sure I get what I need.

I plan to have multiple ECM-1240's, likely two, and want them to be connected to the ISY. I would prefer going the EP1 Ethernet route, but if read the thread correctly that method only supports one 1240. I would need Zigbee enabled 1240s and the ISY-994iz to support multiple 1240s, correct? I also like the Ethernet option so I could pull data to a Windows box or whatever as well. Maybe I can get by with only one 1240.... need to ponder that too.

I would rather not have a Zigbee ISY as I see more benefit from the possible Z-wave module for future-proofing. However, I have no current plans for any Z-wave devices, so perhaps it isn't a big deal.

Summary:

In order to get multiple 1240s I need Zigbee?

If so, is there any hope for Ethernet support for multiple 1240s? (I can wait quite a while... not a problem)

Thanks,

Ryan

Hi Ryan,

I plan to have multiple ECM-1240's, likely two, and want them to be connected to the ISY. I would prefer going the EP1 Ethernet route, but if read the thread correctly that method only supports one 1240. I would need Zigbee enabled 1240s and the ISY-994iz to support multiple 1240s, correct?

Correct

I also like the Ethernet option so I could pull data to a Windows box or whatever as well. Maybe I can get by with only one 1240.... need to ponder that too.

All data for all channels are stored in ISY log file. This said, I am not entirely sure what program you are going to use on Windows.

In order to get multiple 1240s I need Zigbee?

Yes

If so, is there any hope for Ethernet support for multiple 1240s? (I can wait quite a while... not a problem)

Unfortunately not simply because it's quite resource intensive (ISY has to keep polling an external device).

With kind regards,

Michel

Thanks for the quick response Michel.

Sounds like I will go Zigbee. Either that or leave some circuits un-monitored, but the data nerd in me can't have that.

I was thinking that with the EP-1 Ethernet gateway I could also use a computer to pull info from the EP-1... I may have misread that somewhere. not a big deal either.

Thanks again!

Ryan

Hi Michel,

I guess I'll find out soon. I ordered the ISY994iZ/IR PRO yesterday. (hey it was on sale... I couldn't resist) That should take care of everything I need for the foreseeable future and then some. :)

I see the 1240 zigbee monitors still have an active RS232 port on them in addition to the zigbee. The good news is the 1240s would be installed within 4 feet of my main windows server at home so if I did get some strange idea to use the RS232 connection I could. I likely won't need to however as the ISY should take care of everything I need. Mmmm multi-1240 happiness coming soon to my basement. :)

Thanks for the guidance!

Ryan

• 4 weeks later...

Michel,

Just going to check in and see if there has been any progress on interfacing with the new GEM units as of yet? I am looking to upgrade both my ISY99i and my 1240's so i can finally get all of my energy monitoring into the ISY specifically needed now since Cinemar has native ISY plugin supported now.

• 2 months later...

Archived