Someone check my basic program?

Zick

What kind of filters would be available for the network line. I've seen the filters that Smarthome sells but they are for the powerlines. I suppose I could try one of those.

I don't know about network lines or filters for them. I am happy to defer to others (including LeeG) as far as the possibility that high network traffic could cause problems. This is not something that I knowing have experienced. In my simplistic mind, however, the failure of the ISY to see the change in status of your KPL button seems unrelated to your computer network.

I am aware only of the powerline filters from insteon.

Zick,

I agree with oberkc that it is something that I have not seen before where the network side is creating a problem with Insteon traffic. However, if removing the network cable consistently restores Insteon reliability, then I think we need to look in that direction. It could be that something causing significant network traffic is viewed as an issue and addressed before moving on to the Insteon side.

Let us know if you can see network activity that stops when the network cable is removed.

Lee

I also approach this problem from a perspective independent of bits and bites. I know little about logs and addresses and so on. I offer these thoughts, however:

a. Your ISY appears to be communicating with the PLM. You are able to perform queries, scene tests, etc.... In general, your ISY appears to be working normally to me. I would think problems with your network would manifest itself in a balky ISY. I don't see this.

b. I can accept that high network traffic in general may cause communication problems with those devices on your network. I don't think, however, that communication between the ISY and PLM are on the network. I assume that high use of network bandwith would only affect the communication between the ISY and your computer/browser.

c. Your problem appears to be the inability of the ISY to see contol and status of KPL-C. This is communicated through the powerline.

d. I consider it possible that the amount of noise or signal attenuation that a computer puts on a powerline to be directly related to it's activity and process. This could be affected by network activity. I consider it plausible that the network cable issue is not the direct cause of your problem.

e. Your problems sound to me exactly like the communication (which are powerline) problems experienced by many on this, and other, forums.

That is how my mind works, based on limited knowledge of the design of the system. Regardless of how this particular problem works out, I think a filter on your computer system is worthwhile insurance.

Like others on this forum, I have gone a step further...adding a separate circuit just for the PLM. I have found that separating the PLM from the myriad of computer devices to be important for good communication. On top of that, I put all computer equipment on a filter.

I am confident you can get your system to work.

When I bring up the event viewer, it stays completly empty. Is this normal?

Mine stays empty until some insteon activity occurs. I assume that this is normal. I also assume that LeeG suggested this to see if there was something going on percieved as insteon activity resulting from the network cable issue. It sounds as if this suggests that there is no abnormal insteon traffic caused by the network made normal when the cable is removed.

Again, sorry for slow response. Still no emails on new post.

Yes, my event viewer display is quiet when no Insteon traffic is flowing. I have the problem documented in a few other threads about not being able to reach a NTP server so I run with that option disabled. If you were having problems reaching the NTP server the Event Viewer would show repeated attempts to obtain the time from the network.

Zick, can you reconfirm that the KPL button press works with the network cable removed. Sometimes other things happen at the same time so when symptoms change it can be attributed to the wrong action. If removing the network cable continues to provide successful KPL button response, are the LEDs either on the front of the ISY or the back at the RJ45 network connector blinking when no Insteon activity is happening.

No worries about the slow responses LeeG. 8)

Now this is really starting to irritate me. I just tested the program again with everything (computer & network) connected and it worked perfectly. :evil:

Now granted I should be happy that it's working but what's to say it will stay this way?

I retried doing the scene test via ISY and now I get this;

d8899e11.jpg

Not sure why I now get a 50% success/fail rate where I was getting 100% failure rate before.

Now this is really starting to irritate me. I just tested the program again with everything (computer & network) connected and it worked perfectly. Now granted I should be happy that it's working but what's to say it will stay this way?

Intermittent is normal for powerline communication problems. Devices turn on and off. Neigbor activity varies. Who knows what else. The failed master bath fan indicates to me that you continue to have a marginal communication problem (powerline).

Yes, your problems will come back.

Suppose I should get a filter just in case.

What about if I put the water circulator in the scene with the bathfan that way it turns it on/off with the fan. This would elimate any issues the programming if there is a communication issue going on.

Now lets also say that I keep the current programming I have and if we happen to forget to turn off the fan, "Maybe" if there isn't any communication problems the program will shut off the circulator after the time specificed?

This way I know the circulator will always "turn on" but there just might be that chance that it won't turn off automatically with the programming if we leave the fan on.

This seems like the best possible solution for me right now since I'm more worried about making sure it will turn on in the first place or else we have very cold showers :shock:

Archived