2420M - wake up & Jumper 5 use vs. pot settings

ELA

Hello,

I am new to this forum. I have (4) 2420M's installed in an Insteon system using an ISY99i. I am intending to add more and want to find a better way to add these devices to new scenes after they have already been recognized by the ISY99.I have a multipart question:

I find configuring the 2420's to be a real chore since I need to remove them from their mount, open the back, put jumper 5 on and then hold the set button in order to program these (add to a scene). Then close them up and reinstall on the wall.

1) Am I missing something or is there an easier way? I need to get on a ladder all the time to access the outdoor units when I make a change involving one of these in a new scene.

2) In addition I am wondering if most users leave jumper #5 in place and use the internal settings or if they prefer the pots?

I am using the pots up until now. I like the idea of more precise settings using the internal stored values.

3) If you elect to leave jumper #5 on always does the 2420M use any more or less battery power than with Jumper #5 left off and using the pots settings?

I ask because leaving the jumper on would be one less thing to have to change when I update the program in these units.

4) Is there any way to "wake up these units for updates" without opening them up and holding the set button (in addition to putting jumper #5 on)?

You do not need to have Jumper 5 in place to create or update Scenes that affect the Motion Sensor. You do need Jumper 5 in place for things like the delay to Off time to be set by software/firmware. Leaving Jumper 5 in place does not affect battery life. Note that for now the ISY does not allow more than about 8 minutes for the delay to Off value. It was believed that was the maximum value at one time although V2 motion sensors allow up to 2 hours when set programmatically. I think that is an item being looked at for an update at the 2.8.0 firmware level.

I always put the Motion Sensor into linking mode with the Set button before working with Scenes that affect the Motion Sensor. It is a pain. I do not lock in the Motion Sensor to its mounting just so that I can easily slide the MS off its mount. I don't think generating a motion event will allow the ISY to update a Scene but I will try that and update this post tonight.

EDIT: I found it necessary to enter linking mode to get the Scene update written.

I have 6 motion detectors and none of them are in a scene (other than the link to the ISY). I use the motion control ON as a trigger to a program which turns on a light and starts a timer. Each time the Motion On occurs the timeout is reset. So far I have not used the Motion Off in any of my programs. Doing it this way has a slight delay from motion to light on but I don't have to pull down the sensors to put them into link mode.

Thanks for the information it was most helpful.

I think I am beginning to understand that it is best to detect these motion sensors via the ISY as you stated. My problem was that I was making a change to that concept and had to remove some existing scenes (as part of the update) so it was frustrating having to put them into update mode just to remove information.

Thanks for the clarification about Jumper 5 not needing to be on during an update. That will help.

It would be nice if motion could wake them, or maybe even a magnetic detection switch you could activate from outside of the case in the future?

• 1 month later...

I have 7 MDs. I have also come to the conclusion that all MD events will be handled via ISY programs and not scenes. As a result I never need to access a MD except to change the battery. Yes there is a short delay using programs vs scenes but it is so worth it to not have to gain access to the MDs each time I come up with a new idea.

Also in this vain, I handle all timeouts with ISY programs. Again, if I desire a change no need to access the MDs.

I'm trying to set up an Insteon motion sensor. Thanks to this forum I figured out I need to install jumper 5 in order to allow the ISY to change the Sensor's setiings.

/rant on/ Why isn't that in the appendix F documentation? And a more appropriate place would be at the Set Options screen in the ISY. Wouldn't that make sense?. /rant off/

I too am not too exited about pulling the sensors down every time I want to modify a scene or adjust a timeout. So I am taking the advice of others in this post and would like to use the ISY as the timer. So I created a program that triggers on the motion sensor ON signal. The lights turn on but after my wait of 3 minutes the lights do not turn off. What am I doing wrong? I started with the following program, it works (after finding the jumper 5 secret) but I have to pull the sensors down if I want to change the delay time. I modified the program thinking the ISY would control the timeout but the lights don't turn off. :(

This works but the sensor not the ISY is controlling the OFF.

If

Status 'House / Exterior / Pond Motion-Sensor' is On

Then

Set 'House / Exterior / Porch Back P3' On

Set 'Garage / Garage Doors P10' On

Set 'House / Exterior / Porch Side O4' On

Else

Set 'House / Exterior / Porch Back P3' Off

Set 'Garage / Garage Doors P10' Off

Set 'House / Exterior / Porch Side O4' Off

This does not turn the lights off after 3 minutes. I'm sure it's just my stupidity, but I don't understand why this doesn't work. I think I need an ISY for Dummies. LOL.

If

Status 'House / Exterior / Pond Motion-Sensor' is On

Then

Set 'House / Exterior / Porch Back P3' On

Set 'Garage / Garage Doors P10' On

Set 'House / Exterior / Porch Side O4' On

Wait 3 minutes

Set 'House / Exterior / Porch Back P3' Off

Set 'Garage / Garage Doors P10' Off

Set 'House / Exterior / Porch Side O4' Off

Else

- No Actions - (To add one, press 'Action')

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Todd

• 2 months later...
I have 7 MDs. I have also come to the conclusion that all MD events will be handled via ISY programs and not scenes. As a result I never need to access a MD except to change the battery. Yes there is a short delay using programs vs scenes but it is so worth it to not have to gain access to the MDs each time I come up with a new idea.

Also in this vain, I handle all timeouts with ISY programs. Again, if I desire a change no need to access the MDs.

I went for somewhere in between, because the signal to turn on a linked device is so much quicker than going through an ISY program (it is effectively instant as far as a human can tell), and I very much prefer this responsiveness. So I manually linked the 2420M to the light I wanted it to control, but also set it to "On Only" and I use an ISY program to act as a timer for switching off. This timer program is also enabled/disabled by a second program that uses "Switch On/Fast On" vs "Switch Off/Fast Off" as a condition for enabling or disabling the timer, so you can whack the switch on (even if the light is even on, or not) to disable the timer until you whack the switch back off by hand.

Archived