Any suggestions on how to control A/C window units?

ISYhbsh01

Clearly Smart Home needs to develop an Insteon enabled AC unit and all your problems would be solved. :D

That is the idea of the INSTEON modem chip that could be integrated into almost anything, but getting companies to by in and do it is anther thing.

Thanks,

If you are the tinkering type and have lots of time to waste, you could tear apart a switchlinc relay and integrate the necessary componants directly into the AC unit. Provided there is enough room inside of the AC unit this would be very slick.

Mostly you would need to pull the two micro-switches from the insteon board and install them (or other contact switches) to the face panel of the AC unit. One button turns it on, the other turns it off. Move the led indicators to the face of the AC unit and your are in business.

• 4 weeks later...

I don't want to hijack this thread, but it looks like the activity is dying down So I would like to pose a question. I have a similar setup as the OP. I'm tryin to control an AC units on and off times but im using an Outletlinc. My problem is when I send and ON command to the outletlinc the AC unit turns on, but then fairly quickly turns off again. It seems that the outletlinc shuts down. and the only way to fix it is to actually flip my breaker off and then back on.. The AC will run fine if the outletlinc is already in the on position. but if i set it to off and then back on it does again.

like others im not much of an eletrician and have no idea why this is happening. does anyone have any idea or advice on a way around this issue. Ive been thinking for a while that i could get an applicancelinc instead of the outletlinc but havent gotten around to spending the money, and not even sure if it will work.

thanks guys

I don't want to hijack this thread, but it looks like the activity is dying down So I would like to pose a question. I have a similar setup as the OP. I'm tryin to control an AC units on and off times but im using an Outletlinc. My problem is when I send and ON command to the outletlinc the AC unit turns on, but then fairly quickly turns off again. It seems that the outletlinc shuts down. and the only way to fix it is to actually flip my breaker off and then back on.. The AC will run fine if the outletlinc is already in the on position. but if i set it to off and then back on it does again.

like others im not much of an eletrician and have no idea why this is happening. does anyone have any idea or advice on a way around this issue. Ive been thinking for a while that i could get an applicancelinc instead of the outletlinc but havent gotten around to spending the money, and not even sure if it will work.

thanks guys

After it shuts down. It is unresponsive to any commands until the power is cycled to it?

yes the outletlinc shuts down and does not respond to any insteon commands. until i flip my breaker off and back on.. then it will respond to an insteon off, and the process repeats after an insteon on..assuming the AC unit is plugged in. The outletlinc itself works fine if i plug a basic light into it...

It could be a noise spike confusing the controller chip in the OutletLinc.

I have what I call my module confuser load. An old style inductive ballast fluorescent under counter light.

I can kill an older revision ApplianceLinc with it. Totally confuse it until it just goes deaf and refuses to work. Sometimes the LED goes full bright or off completely. Only way to correct it is a power removal for a total power up reset. Newer revisions can also on rare occasions be confused by the same test light.

That could also be the AC unit generating power line noise that looked like a programmed x10 code. Even if you didn't program an x10 address, it could have one left over from testing at the factory. To test this theory out, perform a factory reset on the OL and restore its links table using the ISY restore feature, then retest.

Archived