Using I/O linc

Zellarman

I'm getting ready to set up an I/O linc, and was hoping to have it all figured out before I start. I plan on using it to monitor the status of my whole home audio system, through an all off button on a KPL (an ISY 99 controls the status of this button with a syncing program) as well as using it to issue an 'off' command by use of the momentary contact closure connected to a xantech programmable controller. I think the set up for both is pretty much straight forward, hook-up the normally open and common contacts with the power supply and controller for the latter. And for monitoring, I'd use the ground and sense terminals. My issue or question is, if the normally open and common contacts can handle/switch 12 volts (I hope DC), why is the sensor terminal limited to 5 volts, and does anyone have a suggestion how I might go about hooking this up if the signal indicator output from my system is 12V?

The IOLinc uses 5 volts to supply its own circuitry and probably power the onboard relay as well. The other specs are pretty much to control the size of the load you are switching--if the current is too high, you'll burn up or weld the internal relay contacts.

Use the 12 volt output of your Xantech to switch a 12 volt, SPST relay, available for under $5 at your local electronics, hardware or auto supply store. Wire the 12 volts to the coil, then connect the other two contacts to the ground & sense connections on the IOLinc.

The Sensor Input has a 5 volt pull up on it already and is really designed to be pulled down to Gnd and not have an external voltage applied to the sensor input terminal.

In my tests of a original revision one. Anything < 800 Ohms triggered it.

I would also recommend the 12 volt relay to trigger it.

Archived