UDMobile

Hello All,

UDMobile client is based on J2ME (IBM Websphere Micro Environment Runtime = WEME). The only reason that we do not actively advertise our UDMobile client is that we have had a hard time figuring out where our clients can buy the license for WEME. The price for the license is $5.99 and we were told that users can buy it directly from Handango but it is not listed.

If you, or anyone else for that matter, is willing to take the responsibility for acquiring a license for WEME, you can download our UDMobile client using one of the following methods:

1. http://universal-devices.com/downloads/ ... e-Full.zip -- use this download if you want to use ActiveSynch and install UDMobile in the Pocket PC's regular filesystem (flash)

--->Download and unzip into a directory, and run setup.bat; this will install the app using ActiveSynch. Make sure you install to the device and not the SD Card.

2. http://universal-devices.com/downloads/UDMobile-SD.zip -- use this download if you want to simply copy the files into and run UDMobile from your SDCard

--->Copy the contents of the zip file into an SD card

--->Insert the SD card into your Pocket PC

--->Use File Explorer and go to your /SD Card/UDClient or /Storage Card/UDClient directory depending on the name given to your SD Card file system by your Pocket PC

--->If your SD directory is called SD Card, then click on UDMSD

--->If your SD directory is called Storage Card, then click on UDMStorage

For the most part, all development has stopped on UDMobile in the favor of a .Net to alleviate licensing issues.

Thanks and with kind regards,

Rand,

Excellent topic. Thanks so very much for suggesting it.

In an effort to encourage the programmers I would like to start a thread for discussion of UD Mobile.

UD Mobile was written to allow Pocket PCs to interface with the ISY over a wireless network. The FAQs thread has two links to this program: UDMobile-SD.zip and UDMobile-Full.zip

Thank you for writing this program. I bought Net Remote to use with Girder (both from Promixis) nearly a year ago and I am very disappointed with the Insteon support. UDM is not fancy, but it is functional and useful.

I have a Dell Axim X51v with Windows Mobile 5.0. I could not get the -SD version to install, I used the -Full version.

Thanks so very much for the encouragement. Just for my edification, were you trying to install UDMobile on your SDCard? If so, that will not work. Please review the previous thread for instructions and let me know if you still have any problems.

One problem;

The Hide (X) button (top right of screen) seems to functions properly and hides the window but does not quit UD Mobile. But after that selecting UD Mobile from the Start Menu starts a new version of UD Mobile (if there is enough RAM) instead of bringing the currently running instance forward. If there is not enough RAM for UDM there is no error message.

I have to go through the system menus to find and activate the running instance.

You are absolutely correct. J9VM in general and our implementation in particular have been known to eat up a lot of memory. For a fact, UDMobile will not function if you have more than 60 nodes (no more memory will be available). We have practically stopped all development on UDMobile because it no longer makes sense to keep on waiting for IBM to figure out what they want to do with their licensing nor is it to our benefit to wait for Sun to come up with a J2ME runtime implementation. As such, we are working on two other solutions:

a. A simple web browser accessible interface which would not require any Java. The problem with this scenario is security

b. A .Net implementation which requires neither a license nor does it eat up all the memory

Selecting Close from the Menu does quit UDM. I like the ability to Close (quit) UDM from the menu and would appreciate it if UDM was restored after hiding.

Yes, I agree! While designing/implementing the other solutions, you should not be left with an annoying problem like what you mentioned. I can't give you a date but please take my word that we shall work on resolving it.

Thanks so very much for your feedback and insight,

With regards,

rand -

what directory does it install in - the java too - i installed in the flash memory too but i don't think i am finding java - the install went into

program files/j9

program files/udmobile

it opens, but i just have a blank blue screen - with and status - a menu soft key with a few options - how does it know where i am?

i tried going to the univ/devices myisy url - i get that univ/devices screen - with java 2+ required

i have i/e and opera beta - neither support java - i hear netfront does

i am using a ppc 6800 - wm/6 though - i did a registry hack to disable signed certs - the device also has a jbed fastdac java installed

what am i doing wrong?

rand -

what directory does it install in - the java too - i installed in the flash memory too but i don't think i am finding java - the install went into

program files/j9

program files/udmobile

it opens, but i just have a blank blue screen - with and status - a menu soft key with a few options - how does it know where i am?

This is correct. It will take some time, what seems to be as much as a minute, then the Login window should open. If not, be sure to use the Menu/Close and try again.

For a fact, UDMobile will not function if you have more than 60 nodes (no more memory will be available).

UDM uses 8-9 MB on my PPC with 48 nodes. How many nodes do you have?

i tried going to the univ/devices myisy url - i get that univ/devices screen - with java 2+ required

i have i/e and opera beta - neither support java - i hear netfront does

i am using a ppc 6800 - wm/6 though - i did a registry hack to disable signed certs - the device also has a jbed fastdac java installed

what am i doing wrong?

I have no luck using a browser on my PPC. I installed a Java (JVM) but still no-go so I uninstalled it. UDM doesn't need Java.

Thank you,

Rand

i have 15 meg available - but could free up more - i imagine i have too many links to use udmobile - about 60 devices, probably 25 or more are keypads and probably 40 scenes

when i start udmobile, a j9w.exe starts that takes 5.73 meg - but nothing happens - no wireless connection is established (through the phone network) and when i use wifi (connected to my router), nothing happens

i guess my question is - how does the udmobile app know where my isy box is? seems like it iat least needs my ip address

I think you have too many nodes for UDM. AFAIK, every group in every controller is a node. SwitchLincs are 1 node, a ControLinc is 5 nodes, a KPL is 5 or 8 nodes, etc... I am up to 48 nodes according to http://your.isy.url:port/web/nodescnf.xml

I think it is a limit of J9; Michel could say for sure.

Using WiFi, with both devices connected to the same network, UDM should find the ISY on the network, the same as using ISY with any PC on the network.

BummerLinc,

Rand

Rand,

You are 100% correct. UDMobile should find ISY on its own (UPnP) without knowing a predefined IP address.

Sloop,

May I ask what brand PocketPC you are using?

Thanks and with kind regards,

Michel

I think you have too many nodes for UDM. AFAIK, every group in every controller is a node. SwitchLincs are 1 node, a ControLinc is 5 nodes, a KPL is 5 or 8 nodes, etc... I am up to 48 nodes according to http://your.isy.url:port/web/nodescnf.xml

I think it is a limit of J9; Michel could say for sure.

Using WiFi, with both devices connected to the same network, UDM should find the ISY on the network, the same as using ISY with any PC on the network.

BummerLinc,

Rand

/storage card

i installed it to the flash - could not get it to work from the storage card - i do get a message after the install - it said something about the cert or cannot find - i did a registry hack that was said to disable the cert requiremment - but that might have applied to web sites - i don't know enough about certs on a pc - when i start the ud mobile app, i get no error message - only after the install

Sloop,

Have you tried a simple unzip of:

http://universal-devices.com/downloads/UDMobile-SD.zip

to your /Storage Card?

And then, use file explorer to navigate to and click:

/Storage Card/UDClient/UDMStorage

Please let me know.

P.S. Don't worry about the warning ... Microsoft wants all PPC applications to have a certificate ($30.00 or more per unit) but we don't believe in having to pay so much just for a license.

With kind regards,

Michel

/storage card

i installed it to the flash - could not get it to work from the storage card - i do get a message after the install - it said something about the cert or cannot find - i did a registry hack that was said to disable the cert requiremment - but that might have applied to web sites - i don't know enough about certs on a pc - when i start the ud mobile app, i get no error message - only after the install

i tried that - when i try to start the app, it says it can't find something - i suspect the j9 thing - but opens ok when i install it in the flash

i think i know my problem - do i need to enable internet access? my isy can't find that - i config'd the isy manually - using 192.168.1.1 as the gateway, as best i recall

Sloop,

No. You don't need to enable internet access. Can you browse the internet using your PPC? If so, then you are all set and the issue lies with UDMobile. If you could tell me the exact error you are experiencing, I might be in a better position to help you.

If you have already installed it in the flash, please wait a few moments (it might take a long time if you have a lot of devices). As Rand suggested, I think we might be reaching the limit on the memory on your PPC. When you run UDMobile, do you know how much memory you are left with?

Thanks so very much,

With regards,

Michel

i tried that - when i try to start the app, it says it can't find something - i suspect the j9 thing - but opens ok when i install it in the flash

i think i know my problem - do i need to enable internet access? my isy can't find that - i config'd the isy manually - using 192.168.1.1 as the gateway, as best i recall

i have 103.30 meg storage and 15.67 meg program - i took out all the today plugins and have 16.47 mb

it has wifi and ev-do connections - both work - even with rdc, browsers or (of course) slingbox

will i get a message in the isy console when a connection is established? i don't know a way to monitor traffic to see if the connection established

Wow ... I think we have beaten the world record for responsiveness!

You can ignore the spinning thing (it's a bug); can you use the menu and navigate to Scenes?

Thanks so very much,

Regards,

Michel

wait!

i left it connected about 45 minutes and now i am getting the sign in screen and the device is displaying the windows busy spinning circle thing

yes!

amazing - the scenes work too - as does device control

i checked the task - 7.28 meg for the j9W.exe task - and i have butt loads of scenes with about 60 devices - probably 25 are keypads

my question is - deos this only work through wifi or can i access it from the ev-do phone data network? will it work from any wifi connection or only connected to my router wifi?

Sloop,

Currently, it only works through wi-fi ... we are really at cross-roads trying to either add more functionality into this "super-fast" and "non-memory-hog" implementation or spend more time on a new platform (as suggested before).

I welcome all your suggestions and feedback.

With kind regards,

Michel

yes!

amazing - the scenes work too - as does device control

i checked the task - 7.28 meg for the j9W.exe task - and i have butt loads of scenes with about 60 devices - probably 25 are keypads

my question is - deos this only work through wifi or can i access it from the ev-do phone data network? will it work from any wifi connection or only connected to my router wifi?

45 minutes! For real? I know what I thought was a minute only used 12-13 seconds on a stopwatch. That would still be 10-15 minutes real-time for you. UDM starts quicker for me when I use it more often, but some minutes must make the program nearly useless unless you can hide and restore it.

UDM starts quicker here if I have recently accessed MyLights from a PC.

It's good to know UDM does work with as many nodes as you have, I plan to add a few more before I am done.

Rand

well 45 minutes was a guess - michel was screwing off answering other threads and not spoon feeding me as i have become accustomed to :lol:

it might have been 20 or so - i did not have the admin console (gui) up all day - because i experimented last night and was creating mayhem and chaos on my powerline - creating triggers that evidently cause loops and stuff

but before its all done - sloop will be the master scene creatin fool

can you have the gui up on a pc and the pda at the same time?

Rand,

I am quite disappointed with J9VM as it's simply not scalable and keeps eating memory not to mention that the last time I asked IBM about their licensing, they sent me a brochure for their blade servers (and that's when we decided that it's simply hopeless). We have no choice but to completely get rid of it.

Sloop,

You don't give yourself due credit.

The answer to your question:

You can have 5 simultaneous client sessions to ISY be it UDMobile, ISY Applet, MCE client, etc. and all will be updated whenever you change any settings on any of the clients or if you click on a physical button.

With regards,

Michel

well 45 minutes was a guess - michel was screwing off answering other threads and not spoon feeding me as i have become accustomed to :lol:

it might have been 20 or so - i did not have the admin console (gui) up all day - because i experimented last night and was creating mayhem and chaos on my powerline - creating triggers that evidently cause loops and stuff

but before its all done - sloop will be the master scene creatin fool

can you have the gui up on a pc and the pda at the same time?