Status Display

jgraziano

I thought, as long as the ISY is controlling the devices, the status display should always be updated, correct?

I just had ISY turn on the Sunset - 1 Hour scene, three of the lamps had correct status, 2 did not until I ran a manual Query.

I thought, as long as the ISY is controlling the devices, the status display should always be updated, correct?

I just had ISY turn on the Sunset - 1 Hour scene, three of the lamps had correct status, 2 did not until I ran a manual Query.

I have been having a few similar situations. I also have a "New" new PLM (received yesterday) that locks up "sometimes" after a query or manual command to turn a light on or off.

It seems that if there is a device the PLM cannot communicate with the sytem keeps trying and eventually the PLM locks up. I thought it would only try 5 times or so.

I don't think mine locked up or anything. Everything seemed to be working. It just didn't get the status right.

I think it is a communication problem with the PLM and the devices. I am guessing that it is causing the status problems and also 'Sometimes" the locking up of the PLM.

I am playing with this all day and trying to troubleshoot it.

I have been having a few similar situations. I also have a "New" new PLM (received yesterday) that locks up "sometimes" after a query or manual command to turn a light on or off.

It seems that if there is a device the PLM cannot communicate with the sytem keeps trying and eventually the PLM locks up. I thought it would only try 5 times or so.

Digger, I don't think this is a similar situation. I am sure your problem lies in the covert operations and surveillance scenarios.

Jim, I have also seen what you describe. I often attribute it to poor communications (no ACK). If it only happens occasionally I don't become too concerned. I haven't been under 24 hour surveillance in quite a few years.

When it occurs often with one or two particular devices sometimes using Restore Device is necessary to rectify the situation.

Paranoid Rand

jgraziano,

Would you be kind enough to do the following and let me know the results:

1. Turn on/off your Sunset scene through ISY (click on the scene)

2. Check and see whether or not the status of the devices are updated correctly

Please do let me know.

With kind regards,

Michel

Michel,

Yes, the update was immediate and complete.

Now that I look at it, I stated it wrong initially. It is a Sunset minus 1 hour program which sets two scenes and there is an X10 command that happens first. The second scene is the one that did not update the status. Note that I still had not removed the 'if time' workaround.

If

From Sunset - 1 hour

For 2 minutes

Then

Send X10 'G14/On (3)'

Set Scene 'SC-Pre Sunset Lightup' On

Set Scene 'SC-Master Bedroom Lamps On' On

Else

- No Actions - (To add one, press 'Action')

Hello jgraziano,

You might want to add a delay between your X10 and INSTEON setting scenes.

Now, my main question is:

1. If you turn scenes "SC-Pre Sunset Lightup" and 'SC-Master Bedroom Lamps On' from ISY, does ISY get updated with the right status?

2. If you have any controllers in these scenes, and if you physically turn on/off your controllers, does ISY get updated with the right status?

With kind regards,

Michel

Michel,

Yes, the update was immediate and complete.

Now that I look at it, I stated it wrong initially. It is a Sunset minus 1 hour program which sets two scenes and there is an X10 command that happens first. The second scene is the one that did not update the status. Note that I still had not removed the 'if time' workaround.

If

From Sunset - 1 hour

For 2 minutes

Then

Send X10 'G14/On (3)'

Set Scene 'SC-Pre Sunset Lightup' On

Set Scene 'SC-Master Bedroom Lamps On' On

Else

- No Actions - (To add one, press 'Action')

Digger, I don't think this is a similar situation. I am sure your problem lies in the covert operations and surveillance scenarios.

Jim, I have also seen what you describe. I often attribute it to poor communications (no ACK). If it only happens occasionally I don't become too concerned. I haven't been under 24 hour surveillance in quite a few years.

When it occurs often with one or two particular devices sometimes using Restore Device is necessary to rectify the situation.

Paranoid Rand

The what??????? So yu saying to me that if the PLM doens't hear from the device that is not causing the status not to update.

Or did you mean something more personel?

Actuallu never mind I will figure it out on my own.

Now, my main question is:

1. If you turn scenes "SC-Pre Sunset Lightup" and 'SC-Master Bedroom Lamps On' from ISY, does ISY get updated with the right status?

2. If you have any controllers in these scenes, and if you physically turn on/off your controllers, does ISY get updated with the right status?

1. Yes

2. No, never has, that is one of my complaints about Insteon. If you manually link devices 'in the field', ISY does not know the status.

On the X10 delay, yes I have seen a few situation where the X10 commands need some extra 'elbow room'.

2. No, never has, that is one of my complaints about Insteon. If you manually link devices 'in the field', ISY does not know the status.

Definitely make sure you create your links on the ISY. If you link 2 devices together, but not to the PLM, they will only inform themselves of any status changes. The PLM will not know you've turned them on or off unless the devices are also linked to the PLM.

Creating links within the ISY ensures that the proper links are created between both the switches AND the PLM.

Definitely make sure you create your links on the ISY. If you link 2 devices together, but not to the PLM, they will only inform themselves of any status changes. The PLM will not know you've turned them on or off unless the devices are also linked to the PLM.

Creating links within the ISY ensures that the proper links are created between both the switches AND the PLM.

I've only been using scenes in the ISY for actual scenes the ISY is to control. If I want to control one lamp with one button on the CL, I've been doing it manually. In that kind of scenario, should I create a scene with one lamp and one button? Seems kind of inefficient to me, but if it does indeed give me status correctly, I guess it's worth it.

jgraziano,

Yes, creating a scene in ISY would indeed give you the correct status. Furthermore, creating a scene in ISY is not less efficient simply because

1. The devices are linked as if you were linking them manually

2. You would know the approximate (to within +/- 5% accuracy) status of all your devices regardless of how they were turned on/off

3. You have immediate access to what controls what and what is controlled by what devices/scenes in both the Topology as well as the tree to your right

With kind regards,

Michel

I've only been using scenes in the ISY for actual scenes the ISY is to control. If I want to control one lamp with one button on the CL, I've been doing it manually. In that kind of scenario, should I create a scene with one lamp and one button? Seems kind of inefficient to me, but if it does indeed give me status correctly, I guess it's worth it.

Seems kind of inefficient to me, but if it does indeed give me status correctly, I guess it's worth it.

I know where you're coming from, because when I first moved to the ISY it seemed kind of "unnatural" to create something called a "scene" just to link 2 switches. But, that's the correct way to do it, and there's nothing inefficient about it.

It also makes things incredibly simple when you get into areas where you have 4 or 5 switches all cross-linked.

Seems kind of inefficient to me, but if it does indeed give me status correctly, I guess it's worth it.

I know where you're coming from, because when I first moved to the ISY it seemed kind of "unnatural" to create something called a "scene" just to link 2 switches. But, that's the correct way to do it, and there's nothing inefficient about it.

It also makes things incredibly simple when you get into areas where you have 4 or 5 switches all cross-linked.

I'm sure I'll get used to it. :D

So if I want to link channel a on CL1 to lamp a, just creat a scene with only lamp a and drag CL1 channel a down to the scene, right? Will the All On on the CL work? And the dimming function?

I'd just try it now, but I'm getting ready to leave.

Not sure if this helps, but there is this question/answer in the FAQ...

What is a ISY scene?

Scenes are simply a group of devices. A scene is equal to a group in Insteon vernacular. Also a scene is as small as two devices linked together and the more links you add the bigger the scene gets. I think there is a desire to think that just linking two devices is just a link and this is correct but it is still a scene. So if you want to create a link between two devices you will have to create a scene to do it.

Archived