Motion Sensor 2420M Linking problem...

Tom Marek

I've had a 2420M sitting on the shelf for a long time and now that I have my ISY/Insteon integration working flawlessly, I thought I'd give the motion sensor a try. I've read many threads and still have no luck linking this thing. Details below:

Model: 2420M Rev 1.0

Address: 0A.42.EE

Jumpers all set to 0

ISY FW: 2.7.15

I right click My Lighting and choose New Insteon Device

Name: Motion Sensor

Dev Type: [10.01] (2420M) INSTEON Motion Sensor

Checked: Remove existing links (also tried the other two choices)

I put the 2420 into linking mode then click OK in ISY. After a while I get the error messages:

[-200000] Failed Writing Device Link [RemoteLinc - Office Lts] and

[-200000] Node not added, failed removing links [A 42 EE 1]

Not sure why the Remote link message happens, in fact, ISY console shows Writing to all my Remote Linc buttons. I even put my RL inside my grounded alarm panel on the other side of the house and ISY still shows Writing.

I even tried a second tap on the set button on the 2420 (suggested in a post) and still nothing. From the posts, it sounds like people have successfully linked v1.0 sensors. Not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Tom

Hi Tom,

The first problem seems to be that ISY thinks there are pending updates needed for your RemoteLinc. Do you have 0101 icon on the RemoteLinc? If so, first, we have to make sure ISY is in synch with the rest of your system (including the RemoteLinc) before adding the Motion Sensor.

As far as the Motion Sensor itself, is it close to an Access Point?

With kind regards,

Michel

Hi Michael,

Thanks for the reply. Now that you mention it there is a little flag looking icon next to my RL keys that read 1011. I only have 4 of the RL buttons defined so far but the ones I have defined work fine.

AP and MS are about 10 ft apart and the MS has a fresh battery.

Tom

Hi Tom,

What version firmware do you have in the ISY? Help | About.

Are you prompted to put the RemoteLinc in linking mode? Hold the Bright and Dim for about 5 seconds until the LED begins to blink. Then Write Updates...

Have you performed a factory reset on the motion sensor? Is the MS v1.0 or v1.1?

Rand

Hi Rand,

From my original post:

Model: 2420M Rev 1.0

Jumpers all set to 0

ISY FW: 2.7.15

Success on the Remote Linc. Putting it into linking mode caused the 1011 flags to disappear and now the RL icons look like the other devices in my network. Thanks!

As for the MS, I did do a factory reset. Now that the RL error is cleared, I get the following:

1147784999_F2y6b-M.png (alt+p) [/img]

All of the commands sent to the motion sensor timed out. Note the timestamps between the commands are approx 9 seconds apart. The motion sensor did not receive the commands or the answer did not make it back to the PLM. Try moving the MS closer to a Dual Band device, a new battery in the MS (linking mode draws more current and may not work with a marginal battery) and that the MS remains in linking mode. It is good to wait at least 5 minutes after installing a new battery before attempting to work with the MS.

Thanks Lee.

Battery is new and I have been waiting 5-10 min between each try after resetting the MS. AP (2443) is now less than 10ft away although it is an older (rev 1.0) AP. I ordered a pair of new dual-band Access Points that should arrive tomorrow. I'll try them and report back. Not sure what to do if that doesn't work.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

Tom

• 7 months later...

Sure by now you will have solved this. However, anyone else experiencing the same should know that Motion Sensor will not link under "auto discover". There is a dropdown menu with "auto discover" as the default. Click on drop down diamond, scoll down to motion sensor, then select.

Archived