Trouble installing Network Module

Zellarman

I'm just about ready to delve into the programming side of the ISY, I've gained a little self confidence after using REST commands from my iRule app to control lighting, now I'm looking to issue IR commands from my ISY to my GC IP2IR

Right now, however, I'm unable to purchase the Network Module. As far as I know, I've never purchased it, or the X/10 A/10 experimental module either, but when I go to purchase the Network Module, it shows a purchase date for the two, and thus the 'add to cart' option is unavailable.

What do I do?

Thanks for the help Michel, I've sucessfully installed both modules, and the network module is working great, I'm already using it to control my DirecTV sattelite boxes.

I do however have one problem, somehow apparently, I've lost internet access. I tried disable/enable internet access, but it just ends up yeilding 0.0.0.0 for HTTPS. Nothing has changed with regard to my router. I haven't rebooted the ISY, I'm not sure if I should or not.

I have 2 DirecTV HR-22 receivers, they're High Def DVR models (black), they have ethernet connections on the back, not only does the ethernet connection allow me control via the ISY, but also gives me the ability to watch recordings on the other receiver.

Hello Zellarman,

Apologies for tardy reply.

The problem is that basically ISY cannot get the remote IP from your router. Personally, I do not recommend using UPnP if you want to have reliable remote access to your ISY. Instead, I suggest disabling Internet Access (File | Disable Internet Access) on ISY and then configuring your router for manual port forwarding:

http://www.universal-devices.com/mwiki/ ... o_Your_ISY

Please review the section under Configuring Non UPnP Routers.

Furthermore, you might want to get a Dynamic DNS account so that you would not have to remember your IP address and IP address changes are not going to make ISY inaccessible.

With kind regards,

Michel

Why can my ISY no longer get an IP from my router? It wasn't an issue before the Network Module install.

I tried the port forwarding, but the website doesn't have my model, It's an Actiontec M1424WR rev D, they have versions close to this listed, and I looked at the three of them, but wasn't able to complete the task. I telneted to the ISY, and entered the IP, SNM, DNS & Gateway information as directed in the wiki, but I guess that's irrelevant based on my inability to accomplish the port forwarding.

Is there any other way? I'll do some more investigation on my router to see if I can't get better instructions, but was hoping there might be another way.

Zellarman,

One has nothing to do with the other and I think you do not have the sequence of events correct: based on our records, you had to have someone local to your ISY install the modules since you could NOT access your ISY remotely.

We can certainly disable the modules if you feel that has anything to do with the remote access issue but I just don't want you to waste time on things that I can say with 99.999% confidence have nothing to do with one another.

With kind regards,

Michel

I cecrtianly don't want to disable thhe modules, the Network Module is a great tool and already has enhanced my controls.

I guess you are right, as far as the chain of events goes. It just seems strange, that up until that day, I had internet access.

What could've changed anywhere that now the ISY doesn't get an IP address from the router?

Hello Zellarman,

Did you by any chance upgrade the router's firmware?

In some cases (and although I hate hearing it) routers need to be rebooted regularly (weekly) ... I have never had to reboot mine but would you please try rebooting the router and then try File | Enable Internet Access again.

Please note that in all cases, it's always best to do port forwarding manually.

With kind regards,

Michel

I have not upgraded the routers firmware.

If I reboot the router, and then try to enable internet access again, then what about the settings I entered using the telnet shell, do they need to be set back to whatever they were, or does it not matter?

I have no objection to doing a manual port forward, it just seems that I'm not capable. Funny, I'm not really much of a computer guy, but have sucessfully set up the network module to turn off my DirecTV boxes, thought I'm unable to do the, what I'm under the impression should be simple, task of mamnual port forwarding.

Archived