RemoteLinc restore needed despite no changes

jkraus

Hi, just wanting to debug an issue I had with a RemoteLinc. Without any isy changes (program or firmware) one of my RemoteLincs stopped controlling the devices on any of the buttons. I did a restore on the Remotelinc from the isy and worked fine, but wondering how this could happen i.e. how did a RemoteLinc lose all of its lincs?

jkraus

The RemoteLinc may have locked up rather than actually lose the link database. Next time it happens remove one of the batteries for 30 seconds to see if it works after restoring the battery. Could try a new set of batteries as well. Odd behavior is not uncommon when the batteries are low.

Lee

An accidental factory reset on battery change would erase the link database, and of course select hardware and software capable of remotely manipulating the link database can edit links during the time the RF receiver is active after the RL sends a command. I haven't been able to damage links any other way.

More often, a low battery or RF range issue is mistaken for a link database problem. You can see the difference in LED behavior. If you haven't disabled the LED, with no link records each button press will blink the LED just once, whereas a low battery or RF communications problem would flash it a few times.

Interesting comment about the low battery. It did blink several times when button pressed like it had poor communication issue (so possibly low battery you say). However, upon restore, without any battery change, works again just fine.

However, this is a unit that I just changed the batteries in a couple of weeks. I though it kind of odd because the batteries were not that old especially the unit is not used too much. I remember a thread about some RLs having problem with eating through batteries, maybe this is the issue. Does anyone know the ver of the bad battery devices?

Thx

Joe

fitzpatri8,

not sure I follow you. Do you mean certain versions of isy software?

I looked for the old thread and it seemed that many returned their RL for new ones and it solve the problem. Mine are almost 2 years old and perhaps this one was not used much, so it possibly is from an old batch

Joe

Archived