How can I monitor my well using my ISY?

robin71

I'd like to be able to monitor the status of the well pump for my house using my ISY and dual band INSTEON network. When the pressure switch closes it powers a 220V pump until the cutoff pressure is reached and the switch opens.

If the pump runs for a duration of time that exceeds the time it takes to fill the water tank (or some other erratic activity), I'd like to be instantly alerted via text message. Using the INSTEON 240V/30A controller to kill power to the pump would be an extra bonus. That way I'd know if I had a broken pipe somewhere instead of not knowing and coming home to a flooded backyard and no water.

I've been reading these forums for several weeks now and have learned quite a bit. There are a lot of sharp people here so if there's a way, I'm sure someone here could point me in the right direction.

Thanks!

Rob

Basically I just need a sensor to trigger a program with a timed condition, I think.

I agree. The programming would likely be pretty straight forward.

if
status "pump sensor" is on
then
wait duration of time
notify
else

Unfortunately, I have no direct experience with any 220V sensor.

robin71

The 220V Load Controller would be a natural choice as it switches 220V as well as sense the load drawing current. Unfortunately no one has been able to get a Load Controller that has working load sensing. The switching of 220V is rock solid on the Load Controller so that aspect can be used.

A simple solution is wire a 220V relay in parallel with the pump motor circuit. The relay is energized when the pump is running. Connect the relay contacts to an IO Linc Sensor so that the Sensor signals On when the pump is running.

By triggering a Program with the Sensor On message it should be possible to establish a Wait for whatever duration is considered a failure. When a failure is detected a 220V Load Controller can be controlled to turn the pump circuit off completely. The Program can also generate an email alert.

Lee

Thank you all for the replies. That looks like it would work, but I ran into a couple of problems.

First, all I have out there are three wires, the two 110V legs and a ground. Secondly, burying new wire to make another circuit with a neutral wire would be no easy feat. The well is on the opposite side of my house than the panel box. Even if I could go through the attic to the other side of the house and down that wall with the wire, between that point and the well I have electric, main water lines, sprinkler irrigation lines, and four-inch corrugated pipe that drains my gutters to the front yard. That's a lot of stuff to miss and go under with the electric and I don't know where some of that is. If I were to take it from the panel box around the back yard and over to the well, that's a lot of digging and missing the septic system on that side.

Disclosure: In my posts I say I do this and do that, but it's not me actually doing the work. I suffered a spinal cord injury 16 years ago that left me a quadriplegic so it's my dad who helps me with all this stuff. The more I'm thinking about this, the more I'm wondering if there is an easier way to control the well pump in the event of an emergency (a pipe breaking). I was just hoping I could pull it off with the existing wiring that's already out there and control it with INSTEON. INSTEON just gives everything that "cool factor".

Controlling the pump is not a problem. Smarthome has a 220/240 Load Controller that is powered from 220/240 V (no neutral required) and is Dual Band (sends/receives RF signals as well as powerline).

http://www.smarthome.com/2477SA2/INSTEO ... and/p.aspx

So control is easy without any wiring changes at the pump/well site.

It is monitoring current flow on the pump circuit (pump running) that is the challenge. Assuming there is nothing else on the pump circuit and it is supplied from the house, there are electrical devices that monitor current flow and have an output that can control an Insteon device inside the house. When the device inside shows the pump running for an extended period the Load Controller at the pump site can be commanded to turn the pump circuit off. Could also connect the Load Controller in the house and have it shut off the line going to the well/pump location. A search of the internet for such current monitoring devices should yield several possibilities.

The Insteon 220V Load Controller doesn't require a neutral connection and could be installed in the pump house upstream of the pressure switch. This device is dual-band, as well, so it would act as an RF receiver for the TriggerLinc and put the TriggerLinc signals onto both phases of the A/C so that your ISY could detect it.

And the TriggerLinc uses a battery and so also doesn't need a neutral connection, and it has terminals to hook up a contact closure to activate it. So, that just leaves how to detect that the pump is running and connect it to the TriggerLinc, for which I don't have a solution.

EDIT: Wow! Don't know how I missed LeeG's post. Well, for what it's worth.

Had not thought of using a TriggerLinc with the Load Controller. That should work fine. Simply connect a 240V relay in parallel with the pump feed, connecting the relay contacts to the external switch connections on the TriggerLinc.

The remainder is inside in the ISY. A Program triggers from the TriggerLinc turning On. The Program Waits for the time interval that is longer than the acceptable run time for the pump. If the run time is too long the Load Controller is commanded to turn the Pump circuit Off.

Great idea kingwr!

Archived