Support for CAP (Common Alerting Protocol)

rusgrafx

I like that ISY can poll Utility for Response Demand, etc.

So I was wondering if support for Common Alerting Protocol is something UDI team would consider for future releases?

For example: EnviroFlash provides Air Quality feeds that could be incorporated into ISY. When alert is issued the blinds/curtains (or even the motorized windows/garage doors) could be closed automatically and/or HVAC could engage a fan to filter the indoor air.

Maybe it would be even possible to implement a generic support for XML with XPath + variables?

Hi RUS,

I think that would be a great idea!

Do you have a list of a couple of important services we should test/try. The other issue would be whether or not the services are location based and, if so, what is the service that helps the client figure out which URL/server to go to?

With kind regards,

Michel

Hi Michel,

CAP is the de-facto standard for all US interagency alerting. Unfortunately, not all agencies have public access to their feeds and some require subscription/certificates for developers. They use CAP for all kinds of emergencies - quakes, floods, tornadoes, child abductions, etc. Here are some of the services that people could be interested in.

Latest Earthquakes: Feeds & Data

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/catalogs/

FEMA IPAWS-OPEN

http://www.fema.gov/emergency/ipaws/aggregator.shtm

The IPAWS Open Platform for Emergency Networks (OPEN) is a set of securely hosted Web services that enable the routing of standards-compliant emergency messages between disparate third-party applications, systems, networks and devices. Since the initial version of OPEN (DM-OPEN 1.0) had an established capability to route Common Alerting Protocol (CAP) alerts between organizations and to the public via the National Weather Service’s (NWS) All-Hazards Emergency Message Collection System (HazCollect), OPEN was selected by FEMA to perform message aggregation for IPAWS.

National Weather Service’s HazCollect: For Developers (Java API)

http://www.weather.gov/os/hazcollect/dev.shtml

I think those CAP messages is what they periodically push to our TVs and radios with annoying buzz sound. (a.k.a. "THIS IS A TEST OF EMERGENCY ALERT SYSTEM") :)

CAP to EAS Implementation Guide (EAS=Emergency Alert System)

http://www.eas-cap.org/ECIG-CAP-to-EAS_ ... e-V1-0.pdf

If CAP will be implemented in ISY we could create a thread here in the forums with links, etc.

Thanks.

I just found this table in one of the docs that describes all events covered by CAP

Table C-1. NWEM Event Codes 

Event Code  Priority  Event (Product) Name 
AVW  1  Avalanche Warning 
CDW  1  Civil Danger Warning 
CEM  1  Civil Emergency Message 
EQW  1  Earthquake Warning 
EVI  1  Immediate Evacuation Warning 
FRW  1  Fire Warning 
HMW  1  Hazardous Materials Warning 
LEW  1  Law Enforcement Warning 
NUW  1  Nuclear Power Plant Warning 
RHW  1  Radiological Hazard Warning 
SPW  1  Shelter In Place Warning 
VOW  1  Volcano Warning 
AVA  2  Avalanche Watch 
CAE  2  Child Abduction Emergency 
LAE  2  Local Area Emergency 
TOE  2  911 Telephone Outage Emergency 
ADR  3  Administrative Message/Follow up Statement 
NIC  3  National Information Center 
DMO  Configurable  Practice/Demo Warning 
NPT  Configurable  National Periodic Test 
RMT  Configurable  Routine Monthly Test 
RWT  Configurable  Routine Weekly Test 
NMN  Not Currently Disseminated  Network Message Notification

Gosh, it's 4:40am - time to hit the sack. I was just finishing up a new program in ISY that will be waking me (and my wife) up in the morning with TV news.

I was also working on the new ISY GUI (about 60% ready). I'll share the code in the forums when I'm done.

Good night :shock:

Archived