Insteon : 2 ways ?

dvial_24

Hello,

I would like to know if insteon products are 2-ways ?

http://www.smarthome.com/2476S/SwitchLi ... ite/p.aspx

http://www.smarthome.com/2473SWH/Outlet ... ite/p.aspx

I have a lot of communication problems with some of my insteon (2476S, 2473, ...). Sometimes the lights are ON at 6 PM for example but I do not have any programs to put the lights on at this time. I am using a program like this, because I do not want the lights are on all the day and/or night :

If 6 PM, 8 PM, 10 PM, ... then turn off I1, I2, ...

Today I have wanted to test something, I have written the following program1 :

If status of I1, I2, ... is on then wait 2 minutes & turn off I1, I2, ...

It seems 2476S, 2473, ... are just 1 way. Because if I turn on the light directly on the wall, the program1 does nothing. But if I turn on the lights "with" ISY99, the program runs.

If these insteon products are 2-ways, is it possible to program something like this : If status of I1, I2, ... is on then wait 2 minutes & turn off I1, I2, ... ?

Thanks, Denis

All Insteon switches are "two-ways" in that they send commands associated with local actions to other, linked devices. If the devices are properly setup in ISY, then they are at least linked to the PLM, and therefore the Insteon devices will notify the PLM of local actions so that the status in the ISY can be updated. Some Insteon devices are either only responders, e.g. Outletlincs linked above, or are only cotrollers, e.g. RemoteLinc, and are not two-way.

If you paste your actual programs (Right mouse-click on the Program Name and choose "Copy to Clipboard"), we can give you more informed feedback on what is wrong. In the meantime, see if the status of the Insteon device shown in the ISY stays in sync with the actual device. If the ISY is showing the proper status for the device, then a program such as you desire, if properly setup, will be able to be created.

EDIT: See above for clarification.

The ICON Relay DOES notify ISY when it is turned On/Off manually. If this is not happening it could be a powerline problem or the links between the ICON Relay and the ISY PLM have been lost or corrupted.

The OutletLinc does NOT notify another Insteon device when turned On/Off manually.

The Quick Start Guide usually provides the answer as to whether a particular device notifies another Insteon device. If it does have the ability to notify another Insteon device the Quick Start Guide has information on how to link the device as a Controller of another Insteon device. The OutletLinc cannot be a Controller of other Insteon devices so the ISY will not be notified of manual On/Off changes.

Don't know where I got ICON on the brain since you indicated SwitchLinc. Same with a SwitchLinc, it notifies the ISY when turned On/Off manually at the switch.

While the Admin Console is displayed and the SwitchLinc selected, the Device State column should show the SwitchLinc status and change as the SwitchLinc is turned On/Off. If the status fails to change intermittently it is likely a powerline issue. This can include the type of load the SwitchLinc is controlling, 120V leg coupling issues, interference at the ISY PLM plug point do to noise or signal attenuation from PC/UPS power supply problems (FilterLinc normally resolves this).

If the SwitchLinc status never changes in the Admin Console then it is more likely something has happened to the links. A Restore Device (right click on SwitchLinc node) may resolve this.

The status changes when I turn on the switch (lights are on) the status directly with the Admin Console & the program I wrote runs.

But when I turn on directly on the wall (switch), I have to run the option Query on the Admin Console, the status of the switch changes & the program runs.

My question is : is it normal the status of the switch does not change (when I turn on directly to the switch) on the Admin Console. To have the status change on the Admin Console (when I turn on directly to the switch), I have to run "Query" ?

Denis

vdenis3399

Definitely NOT normal as kingwr has indicated. Right click on the SwitchLinc node under My Lighting tree and select Restore Device. This will rewrite the link records and any configuration information to the SwitchLinc. This is the faster of the two possible solutions. If the SwitchLinc status is still not updated then a File | Restore Modem (PLM) is the next solution to try. This can take a long time to run depending on the number of devices installed.

I assume your other wired devices do report status changes. If other wired devices have the same problem then other areas needed to be examined.

Lee

Hello Michel,

I have more or less 20 devices

PLM : 11.CD.B6. v.92

I am quite sure the problem is "intern" (electrical problems from the house). I noted I have some problems of connection when I have a difference of temperature of 15 C during 24 hours, ...

Denis

Archived