Communication - InLineLinc and others.

Help please. Running 2.8.10. My system has been pretty stable for a while. Added a new InLineLinc Dimmer (1st one I have) to control a small load that happens to contain a transformer mounted a few inches from the metal box containing the Insteon switch. When I first tried to add the link in ISY, I got an error (which I though was unrelated about a failure to communicate with a different device) and it never showed up in the device table. Tried several more times with restarting the Console and on different computers (among some Java display errors where I couldn't see the errors) and finally gave up trying to add it and it did not show up in the device table. An hour later, I tried on an I-Mac and the device did appear. Was able to turn it on and off from the Console. Short while later, had a can't communicate with device error regarding this InLineLinc-- seems to happen more often when on then when off. Was able to link to a Keypadlinc button with ISY using a fast-on command to turn it on. Still can't turn it off and the status in the Console is wrong. Wondering if the load causes some type of interference. I've tried plugging an access point into an outlet on the same circuit, but it doesn't really help. Though I don't think related, I also lost communication with a 1000W Switchlinc dimmer mounted a few feet away, though I think a different circuit. It would not respond to a linked Switchlinc, though I'm currently trying airgap reset on both dimmers and the then a restore from ISY. :(

Both the malfunctioning SwitchLinc and InLineLinc are on the same circuit. With InLineLinc off, the SwitchLinc communicates normally, but when the InLineLinc load is on, it doesn't. Load is a tiny transformer smaller than the size of a switch. Assuming that the load when on is creating the "noise"/interference, I disconnected the red wire/load and tried to operate the switches from ISY-- most interesting thing is that while the SwitchLinc works with the InLineLinc load disconnected regardless of whether the InLineLinc is on or off, the InlineLinc w/o the load only responds to an On command, but fails to communicate when on- you have to manually turn it off using it's tiny buttons.

A dimmer type module should not be used on an inductive load like a transformer. Unless specifically rated to be run on a dimmer switch.

If it is as small as you said. It could be a switching type power supply. Again it should not be driven by a dimmer. You should use a relay type InLineLinc.

If you have not removed the power form the InLineLinc. You may want to try a power off reset. A factory reset may also help.

Thanks for your answer. I thought about that, but decided that it probably wouldn't matter if always on full power or off. The transformer does allow dimming of the lighting load (6 low voltage bulbs) when used with standard dimmers. I would have been happy to use an InLineLinc Relay, but the only one sold has other features beyond simple on/off that I didn't need. Best bet may be to use a SwitchLinc Relay and just mount it where the primary switch will not be used. Weirdest part is how it messes with the other SwitchLinc on the circuit.

took out the In-LineLinc-- interesting outcome-- now have normal flip switch on the transformer Low-V load. When load is off, the SwitchLinc on the same circuit works normally. When transformer/Low-V load is on, it prevents the SwitchLinc from responding to Insteon commands. transformer must have some electronic noise that blocks it....

Interesting, that I, too, have been installing an in-line linc and experiencing some communication issues. While I think I have mine "mostly" working, I still suspect it is not as solid as it should be.

I understand that using dimmers, even on full, with incompatible devices can still cause problems. Better off using a relay device.

I think you may have found the problem.

It sounds like it is not a old fashioned transformer but an electronic type.

It is either generating noise or has a big capacitor across its AC input to stop noise from its electronics. An AC cap will absorb power line signals.

When AC to it is off. Communications are better. Turn it on and communications deteriorate.

You may want to try a wired in noise filter.

Do you know about how much current it uses? There is a Leviton filter I have seen reported as being good. If the load is less than five amps. It is fairly small and fits in many places the larger ones do not.

Archived