audio alerts

oskrypuch

Short of a blaring siren, but more than the X10 ding-donger, what are folks using?

This would be to for example alert that the garage door is opening. I have the keylincs beep, but that is not very loud. It would be nice to be able to play a number of different alerts, kind of like cellphone alerts.

* Orest

Rod,

Yes, I have an X10 ding-donger, and can use it for a number of things. I have a motion outside that it runs, the garage door opening, it rings it twice.

But what about a detected water leak, or some other more urgent condition. Ringing the same ding donger three times doesn't quite do it.

Or perhaps some other situation, non-urgent, that you want to differentiate from a motion outside.

* Orest

I am doing voice alerts using network resources to a low powered computer with radio shack 900 MHz wireless intercoms with aux input for music ect.

I created WAV files with AT&T's text to speech web demo. I have groups of slightly different wording and strange sayings I randomly chose from so it doesn't get as repetitive or as annoying.

I use it to alert for vehicle coming up the drive, going down, a couple deferent vehicle id's, custom door bell, and mail (if I can get the sensor working reliably).

-Nick

Quick test, AT&T still seemed to work for me:

http://www2.research.att.com/~ttsweb/tts/demo.php

Though at first, ispeech.org sounds even better and claims to be free for less than a minute. They want to send you a password to your email, what limitations after that I don't know.

http://www.ispeech.org/free.text.to.speech.tts.software

To trigget, I have ISY network resources call web served PHP, which calls aplay in Linux (had to add web server user to the group needed for audio permission)

I specify the folder to play in the URL (get), and PHP randomly chooses a WAV from the folder.

-Nick

Archived