Error backing up ISY-99i

blartyo

Hi,

I'm trying to backup my ISY-99i and when the backup gets to about 94% the following 2 errors occur:

1) Couldn't retrieve the configuration file /CONF/110.PRP

2) Couldn't create the configuration zip file/bad file

Product info: Insteon UD_99 v.1.0.0 ISY 99i/IR Pro (1050)

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

blartyo,

I think you have a corrupted file. Please do be kind enough to remove this file from your system:

1. telnet isy.ip.address 126

2. RF /CONF/110.PRP

With kind regards,

Michel

Hi,

I'm trying to backup my ISY-99i and when the backup gets to about 94% the following 2 errors occur:

1) Couldn't retrieve the configuration file /CONF/110.PRP

2) Couldn't create the configuration zip file/bad file

Product info: Insteon UD_99 v.1.0.0 ISY 99i/IR Pro (1050)

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Hi,

Unfortunately, I'm once again receiving errors when trying to back up my ISY unit.

Here are the errors I receive (OR represents different error messages on different attempts):

Consistent error messages:

Couldn't create the configuration zip file/bad file

Socket open failed java.net.SocketTimeoutException

AND

Couldn't retrieve the configuration file /CONF/65.UND

OR

Couldn't retrieve the configuration file /CONF/136.UND

OR

Couldn't retrieve the configuration file /CONF/128.UND

OR

Couldn't retrieve the configuration file /CONF/118.UND

OR

Couldn't retrieve the configuration file /CONF/35.UND

I was able to replicate this after closing my browser. I tried it several times using both IE7 and Firefox.

I am connected wirelessly to my home network and my 54 Mbps connection is low (2 bars) but has not been dropped.

The error message seems to include a different config file each time, so I don't know which files to delete if I telnet in.

Regards.

Hello blartyo,

I am so very sorry that you are still experiencing issues. Since the problems are random, I suspect that those files are in use when you are trying to do your backup. Would you be kind enough to retry and this time make sure none of your programs are running?

With kind regards,

Michel

Hi,

Unfortunately, I'm once again receiving errors when trying to back up my ISY unit.

Here are the errors I receive (OR represents different error messages on different attempts):

Consistent error messages:

Couldn't create the configuration zip file/bad file

Socket open failed java.net.SocketTimeoutException

AND

Couldn't retrieve the configuration file /CONF/65.UND

OR

Couldn't retrieve the configuration file /CONF/136.UND

OR

Couldn't retrieve the configuration file /CONF/128.UND

OR

Couldn't retrieve the configuration file /CONF/118.UND

OR

Couldn't retrieve the configuration file /CONF/35.UND

I was able to replicate this after closing my browser. I tried it several times using both IE7 and Firefox.

I am connected wirelessly to my home network and my 54 Mbps connection is low (2 bars) but has not been dropped.

The error message seems to include a different config file each time, so I don't know which files to delete if I telnet in.

Regards.

Hi Michel,

No luck.

I disabled all my programs, but unfortunately still get the series of errors I described earlier. Once again the specific problem file seems to be different each time.

Does it matter if I have a non-responding device within My Lights? One of my KPL's has most likely failed and I haven't replaced it yet.

Regards.

blartyo,

I am so very sorry. It shouldn't matter if one of the devices is not responding unless there's a program that's trying to use it and keeps failing.

Can I access your system remotely?

With kind regards,

Michel

Hi Michel,

No luck.

I disabled all my programs, but unfortunately still get the series of errors I described earlier. Once again the specific problem file seems to be different each time.

Does it matter if I have a non-responding device within My Lights? One of my KPL's has most likely failed and I haven't replaced it yet.

Regards.

Could this be part of your problem? Could you plug in to your router and try the backup from a hardwired connection as a test?

Sorry for not responding as fast as you. That's not sarcastic. How often does one get support so quickly at all hours!!!

In any event, I will try out MikeB's suggestion first (test the backup from a hardwired connection). I'd hate for that to be the cause since despite the low connection state I'm able to use my wireless computer for many other applications (e.g. internet, access NAS, etc.).

But, I'll try it tomorrow and at that point I'll contact you Michel to allow remote access.

Many thanks.

blartyo,

Thanks for the update. It could be any of the following three things:

1. Defective 99

2. Network connection (see more below)

3. Firewall software

As far as network connection, ISY is very sensitive to delayed acceptance of packets. In fact, if ISY senses that there are more than 3 packets, for the same client, which have been delayed, it considers the connection lost.

As far as firewall software, there are two which cause problems with both Upgrade as well as backup:

McAfee

NOD32

With kind regards,

Michel

Sorry for not responding as fast as you. That's not sarcastic. How often does one get support so quickly at all hours!!!

In any event, I will try out MikeB's suggestion first (test the backup from a hardwired connection). I'd hate for that to be the cause since despite the low connection state I'm able to use my wireless computer for many other applications (e.g. internet, access NAS, etc.).

But, I'll try it tomorrow and at that point I'll contact you Michel to allow remote access.

Many thanks.

Ok, here are the results of my backup tests under different scenarios:

Wireless signal: Low

Backup: Failed

Wireless signal: Excellent

Wireless signal: off (hardwired internet)

Backup: Failed 2/3 attempts

Wireless state: Low

NAS device state: off

Backup: Success

It appears there is a conflict between my NAS device and the ISY unit. Even on the rare occasions when my backup was successful (and the NAS was on), the backup would be very slow -- often pausing about 5 seconds between files.

With the NAS off, the backup was successful and very fast with no hiccups or pauses.

Additional info:

NAS: Qnap TS-209 Pro, plugged into in-wall ethernet connection which is wired to router.

ISY 99i/irPro unit is plugged into a different in-wall ethernet connection which is wired back to a different jack in the same router.

Router: 2wire 270-HG

I leave my NAS on all the time and beyond even the failed backups, I'd like ensure there is as little conflict as possible between the two devices.

Thanks.

blartyo,

Thanks so very much for the update ... I guess we have to add NAS as one of the reasons for failed backup/upgrade.

Question: were you trying to backup your configuration into a shared folder (on NAS)?

With kind regards,

Michel

Ok, here are the results of my backup tests under different scenarios:

Wireless signal: Low

Wireless signal: Excellent

Wireless signal: off (hardwired internet)

Backup: Failed 2/3 attempts

Wireless state: Low

NAS device state: off

Backup: Success

It appears there is a conflict between my NAS device and the ISY unit. Even on the rare occasions when my backup was successful (and the NAS was on), the backup would be very slow -- often pausing about 5 seconds between files.

With the NAS off, the backup was successful and very fast with no hiccups or pauses.

Additional info:

NAS: Qnap TS-209 Pro, plugged into in-wall ethernet connection which is wired to router.

ISY 99i/irPro unit is plugged into a different in-wall ethernet connection which is wired back to a different jack in the same router.

Router: 2wire 270-HG

I leave my NAS on all the time and beyond even the failed backups, I'd like ensure there is as little conflict as possible between the two devices.

Thanks.

No, I was just trying to backup my configuration onto my local drive.

So is there any recommendation as to how to resolve the issues I've been having? Or is the 'fix' that I need to power down any NAS devices I have running each time I need to backup my ISY setup or upgrade the firmware?

I'm a little worried that this problem will not be isolated to just backing up the software. Any idea how the ISY and the NAS interact with each other?

Is it possible to setup the two devices in such a way as to minimize their potential for conflict?

Obviously I'd like to ensure the optimal performance of all the devices on my network.

Thanks Michel.

blartyo,

It seems very odd that NAS could cause such a problem since our communications are direct HTTP to/from ISY. Is there a client application (which constantly runs on your computer) for your specific equipment?

In short, if the NAS does not use any of the local computer resources/ports, then there should be ZERO interaction between ISY and NAS.

With kind regards,

Michel

No, I was just trying to backup my configuration onto my local drive.

So is there any recommendation as to how to resolve the issues I've been having? Or is the 'fix' that I need to power down any NAS devices I have running each time I need to backup my ISY setup or upgrade the firmware?

I'm a little worried that this problem will not be isolated to just backing up the software. Any idea how the ISY and the NAS interact with each other?

Is it possible to setup the two devices in such a way as to minimize their potential for conflict?

Obviously I'd like to ensure the optimal performance of all the devices on my network.

Thanks Michel.

Hi Michel,

No, there is no local application that I'm aware of that runs constantly on my computer for my NAS.

The NAS does function as a printer driver and is set up on a local port. The port has a specific IP address of the NAS. It was set up following the NAS mfr's guidelines. Would this somehow interfere with ISY?

Hello blartyo,

No, not unless it uses the same IP/port combination as ISY. This is getting to be quite interesting.

With kind regards,

Michel

Hi Michel,

No, there is no local application that I'm aware of that runs constantly on my computer for my NAS.

The NAS does function as a printer driver and is set up on a local port. The port has a specific IP address of the NAS. It was set up following the NAS mfr's guidelines. Would this somehow interfere with ISY?

Hi Michel,

Well after your comments, I performed some further testing.

It seems my conclusion of the NAS being the culprit was based on insufficient evidence. Further backup attempts with the NAS off resulted in the backup process crashing as well.

My attempts at backing up with a hardwired connection tend to have a successful attempt the first time with the following attempts failing.

When I originally got my ISY 99i/irPro unit a few weeks ago, I would back up quite frequently and didn't have any issues. This was with a low wireless signal.

If you'd like to jack into my machine, let me know.

Thanks.

blartyo,

Yes, please let me have access to your system ... I am going to attempt a few backups remotely (late at night/early morning so as not to disturb you). I'll provide you with the feedback as soon as I am done. My email address: support@universal-devices.com.

Thanks so very much,

With kind regards,

Michel

Hi Michel,

Well after your comments, I performed some further testing.

It seems my conclusion of the NAS being the culprit was based on insufficient evidence. Further backup attempts with the NAS off resulted in the backup process crashing as well.

My attempts at backing up with a hardwired connection tend to have a successful attempt the first time with the following attempts failing.

When I originally got my ISY 99i/irPro unit a few weeks ago, I would back up quite frequently and didn't have any issues. This was with a low wireless signal.

If you'd like to jack into my machine, let me know.

Thanks.

Hello Blartyo:

Just to throw in some data points for comparison:

I think that some NAS devices use FAT32. I don't know how many use NTFS, if there are any. If you are trying to backup directly to the NAS (by drive mapping the NAS), maybe this could be a cause of the problem?

But based on what you have written, I don't get the impression that you are attempting this.

However, does your NAS have FTP capabilities? If you are using it as an FTP server that you access from outside of your network, then possibly this has some bearing. I know that some NAS have the FTP capabilities.

Also, are you using some sort of real-time file backup for your systems via the NAS? I was wondering if this could be a factor, if while the ISY was making the backup file, the computer was also trying to backup the new files to the NAS. Just another thought that may be worth looking into.

I use a Maxtor NAS on my home office network. I do the ISY-26 backups to either my main system or my laptop drives, depending on which computer I'm using at the tme that I do the backup. I then copy the files using "Send to" to the NAS device. This works well for me.

The Maxtor NAS has never interfered with my ISY in the manner that you are describing with your NAS.

That's my $0.02

Best wishes,

Well Yardman, many thanks for your input.

I probably created a red herring* when I blamed my NAS. Further testing found I was unable to execute backups even with the NAS off. Plus, I must admit I have not been using my NAS for fancy things like an FTP server.

Regards.

*A false clue which points the reader onto the wrong trail and puts off solving the mystery.

well, well, well.

I mentioned earlier in this saga that I had a device on my network that wasn't responding and had probably failed. I just reset the device (it hadn't actually failed after all), then restored it from the ISY -- and lookey here, my ISY unit seems to now be backing up again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll monitor this situation over the next few days, but for now things seem to be working.

Thanks all!

Archived