Dual band switchlinc

Zellarman

If a dual band switchlinc is capable of receiving RF in addition to PLC does that mean that it doesn't necessarily need a neutral wire to function? I anticipate setting up a friends house that he just bought, and since the house is 50-60 years old I'm sure we'll run across at least one switch box w/o a neutral.

That's a bummer, I think, that is if you meant to say " 'dual band' switchlinc" Then are there any options for installation where there's no neutral (besides the obvious and difficult one of adding a neutral)

The Dual Band SwitchLinc requires a Neutral and Line supplying unswitched 120V AC. All wired Insteon devices are electronic devices which are powered by 120V AC. Actually there is now a 220V Load Controller that is powered by 220V AC which does not require a Neutral but all the 120V devices require Neutral and Line.

There are "2 wire" kits on the Smarthome web site which allow installation in a box that does not initially contain a Neutral. The 2 wire kit contains a SwitchLinc and an InLineLinc. Using this combination one of the wires can be converted to Neutral so in the end a Neutral and Line are necessary in the box even if the box does not start that way.

Search the Smarthome web site for '2 wire'.

Bottom line though, all Insteon 120V wired devices require a Neutral and Line.

Archived