How to use KPL to check light status.

ingeborgdot

I have had inconsistent results when I write one program with a boat load of scenes to execute (or shut off). They usually work, but not always. I am sure it has something to do with Insteon signal overload.

However, if you have multiple lights in the basement that you want to control independently while in the basement, and you want one kpl button upstairs to shut them all off, you pretty much have to use a program like you are using.

If you are willing to use multiple kpl buttons, then you could use one kpl button for each set of lights in the basement and join it to a scene as a controller/responder for each set along with the actual basement switches. This is going to be the most reliable and require no programs, but it will eat up several kpl buttons.

If you only care to have all of the lights in the basement turn on and off as a single group, you can create a single scene with each switch plus your upstairs kpl button as controller/responders.

• 7 months later...

I am going to revive this thread.

I have 4 basement switches that I want to monitor to see if they are on, and any are on, light a button on an 8KP. If the button is lit (and lights are on) I want that button to both turn off the lights and deilluminate the button.

I found the programs in this thread and I see how these would light or delight the button but to actually turn all of the lights off should I make a scene with all the lights off and have the program invoke that scene when pushed?

Using a Scene with all 4 lights as Responders can be used. A Program would trigger from the KPL button Off command and issue a Set Scene Off.

The other approach would be to link all 4 lights as Responders with the KPL button as the Controller. When the KPL button is On and the button is pressed an Off command is issued to all linked Responders so all 4 lights would turn Off. No Program is needed for this. To keep the KPL button from turning On the 4 lights put the button into Non-Toggle Off mode so that only Off commands are issued. In this configuration pressing the KPL button will turn the 4 lights Off even if the KPL button LED is not On.

• 2 weeks later...
Using a Scene with all 4 lights as Responders can be used. A Program would trigger from the KPL button Off command and issue a Set Scene Off.

The other approach would be to link all 4 lights as Responders with the KPL button as the Controller. When the KPL button is On and the button is pressed an Off command is issued to all linked Responders so all 4 lights would turn Off. No Program is needed for this. To keep the KPL button from turning On the 4 lights put the button into Non-Toggle Off mode so that only Off commands are issued. In this configuration pressing the KPL button will turn the 4 lights Off even if the KPL button LED is not On.

I want the light to be 'on' if any of the basement lights are on and then turn them off if pressed.

I want the light to be 'on' if any of the basement lights are on and then turn them off if pressed.

I suspect the reason that LeeG did not address this concern is that it appeared you had already figured that part out when you said:

I found the programs in this thread and I see how these would light or delight the button

That is certainly how I interpreted this post. Regardless, and ironically, there is a current thread on the same topic:

http://forum.universal-devices.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=7552

Archived