Brownout killed ISY99 and/or 2412s?

ketchup318

Hi all, after a recent brownout, I realized that my lights weren't responding like they should be. I checked the ISY and noticed only the power light was on, so I unplugged the 2412 and the ISY and replugged them back in after a minute or so. The ISY flashed though the RX, TX and MEM lights and then those lights turned off and only the power light was on.

In the mean time the lights still didn't work. I logged onto the admin console and it said that it couldn't communicate with the PLM. I did a reset of the PLM (unplugged it for 10s and while holding the SET button, plugged it back in, and holding SET for 3 more seconds). There were a couple of bright flashes, followed by random dim flashes. Still not working or communicating.

So now I'm left wondering, did the brownout kill my ISY and/or my 2412s PLM? I need help... I'm kinda amazed how many things I automated.

The 2414S is a PLC and not a PLM. I have a 2412S PLM marked 2414S. Smartlabs reprogrammed a PLC to work like a PLM. :roll:

What does the Tools, Diagnostics, PLM Info/Status test show?

Since the 2412S is on the AC power I would think it would be the more likely candidate to have a problem.

When no actions are happening. The Power LED is the only one illuminated along with the LED glowing dimly on the PLM.

Hi Brian

My mistake, I actually do have the 2412s PLM. When I run the diagnostics program in the Admin Console, it says something like 'controller not found'. I'm sure the ISY is connected because it's powered and I can get to it via a web browser.

Well, the Power LED is on, and the PLM led is dimly blinking (randomly)...

The only other thing that could make the 2412S LED blink would be random power line noise, but I doubt noise would prevent a connection with the ISY99i.

I does sound like it may have failed.

Since the 2412S is now discontinued. The 2413S Dual Band maybe what you would need to get and it does not provide power for the ISY99i. So if you go that route. There is an optional power supply also avilable from Smarthome.

I don't think there is an easy way to fix a 2412S.

There was a schematic of the PLM in the Developers Guide and I have tried to look at a few revisions myself.

Not sure if it would verify much, but I guess you could use a program like Busy Rats PLM Test program to send it a serial command and see if it responds.

http://busyrat.com/plmtest/

If it is in warranty. Smarthome may replace it.

I believe I saw reports of the 2413S being offered with the $10 price difference between the 2412S and 2413S being paid.

Well, it seems kind of obvious now, and it's certainly hindsight, despite how fortunate I've been only losing a handful of devices to a few different power surges over the years, I've finally decided to get a whole home surge protector. Had one been installed in the system were discussing, well, we probably wouldn't be discussing it. At around $200 it's a small amount to pay for the insurance to protect ALL electrical devices in your house, not just the automation based equipment. I recently lost a GFI plug end on my 220V Air conditioner in addition to a SLD, I'm thinking I'm real lucky it was just the plug and not the AC that took the hit. Anyway, just some advice, I'm sure plenty of you out there have a significant amount of money invested in electrical devices / equipment.

Archived