Switchlinc Fast On - turn on Scene

archean

I am trying to get my Switchlinc Fast On to turn on a scene. It does not seem to do that, i have to control all the individual lights within a scene.

I also noticed that when setting that up there is a noticeable delay between the Fast On and the 3 other lights turning on.

Any ideas here?

(note the three other lights are controlled by the Load Button on 3 separate KPL's)

Thanks!

I have tried both (i set up fast on controlling two lights as responders and set up fast off to adjust a scene).

Fast Off - adjusting a scene was very slow (a few seconds)

Fast On - controlling two other lights as responders was faster - close to a second - but no where near as fast as if they were directly linked.

Oddly both worked less than 100% of the time.

Even more oddly, i could see the light blinking on and off on the wall plug responder as if it was seeing Insteon data being transmitted, but the light status was not changed. I would then do fast on or fast off a few more times and eventually they would take.

So two issues: speed and reliability.

At the end of the day, the speed is not great (not instant) - is there way to program the responders to respond directly from the switchlinc Fast On, rather than having to go through the ISY and wait for the ISY to listen, decide and retransmit the command?

Archean

The “Adjust Scene†function has to issue multiple commands to the responder as the data being changed lives in the responder device. Note that Adjust Scene does not change the immediate On Level or Ramp Rate of the responder. Adjust Scene adjusts the values that are used the next time the responder receives an On/Off command for the Scene being adjusted. Also note that Fast On turns the responder On to full On Level and uses a fast Ramp Rate so “adjusting scene†values and using Fast On are working cross purposes. Most times On/Off commands are used.

Any time a Program is invoked versus use of a Scene directly to control the responder will always have some latency about it. In the Program case a command is sent to the ISY, it invokes a Program which sends a command to the responder. When a Scene is used a command is sent from the controller directly to the responder.

To have a Controller use a Scene directly to control a Responder, define an ISY Scene, add the Controller device as Controller of the Scene and add the Responder device as a Responder of the Scene. After the Scene information has been written into both the Controller and Responder devices a press of the Controller paddle/button will cause the Responder to turn On/Off without the slight delay associated with using a Program.

Lee

So two issues: speed and reliability.

Your speed and reliability issues instantly make me wonder if you are having a communication problem across your powerlines. Do you have:

-surge suppressors?

-ups?

Is your ISY/PLM plugged into, or nearby, any of the above devices? Do you use any access points or other dual band devices to communicate between legs of your electrical system.

As leeG suggested, programs will necessarily be slower than direct commands, but the time frames you describe, along with the lack of reliability, makes me suspect you have other issues.

Archived