Using scenes with or without programs

RBC

Looking for suggestions on how to best set up lighting for my kitchen. My devices include 5 switch links (remotely located in a closet in the garage) each controlling a separate lighting load in the kitchen. The kitchen has 3 keypads (each is a 6 button), 2 of the keypads do NOT control any loads, the third keypad does control a load (an exterior porch light). I am using the ISY 26 and am willing to update if it would make my life easier.

I would like to switch on all the lights at once from any keypad (possibly at two different levels--button A goes full bright, button B goes 50%). I would also like to control the 5 lighting loads independently from each keypad and keep the buttons (led button light) updated.

I would also anticipate setting up a couple of scenes such as "after dinner" and "TV watching"

These scenes could be controlled using a fourth 6-button keypad located in the adjacent living room and combined with an overall "entertainment mood lighting" condition that would include other switchlinks found in the living room.

If you are still with me, I understand there are many options that could be used. I have read through the support pages and the forum and feel overwhelmed with all the possibilities. I am willing to try most anything but just don't want to put hours into something and then realize I missed the boat. The button grouping, toggles, etc. are just starting to sink in but I need some help/suggestions/examples on where to start. Thanks.

RBC

Some things to consider when working with KeypadLincs

Button Grouping works only on the KeypadLinc where a button is actually pressed. Even though other KeypadLincs may be linked together and have Button Grouping defined, only the KeypadLinc where the button is physically pressed honors Button Grouping.

Backlight levels have nothing to do with turning a KeypadLinc button On/Off. The Backlight level controls how bright the KeypadLinc buttons are when On and Off, not whether a button is actually On or Off.

Secondary KeypadLinc buttons cannot be turned Off with an On command. Most Insteon devices when linked as responders can have the responder On Level set to 0% such that when the controller On is pressed the responder turns Off. This does not work with Secondary KeypadLinc buttons. An On from a controller always turns On a Secondary KeypadLinc button regardless of responder On Level.

To accomplish the appearance of button grouping in KeypadLincs other than where the button is physically pressed, ISY Programs are required and Scenes which have the other KeypadLinc buttons as responders controlled by the ISY Programs.

For each KeypadLinc button as a controller, the responders can be set to different On Levels. KeypadLinc A button A can turn its responders On to 80%. KeypadLinc A button B can turn its responders On to 50%. Button A and button B can have the same set of responders.

Just about everything mentioned can be done with ISY Scenes. This is the preferred method (IMO) because there is no delay in responders reaction. Button Grouping in the other KeypadLincs (those other than where a button is physically pressed) is the challenge. Can be done but generally requires multiple ISY Programs and multiple ISY Scenes dedicated to creating Button Grouping visual.

Lee

Archived