Is my delay usual?

rslaufer

I have programmed an X10 KR-32 wireless keypad to send a signal to an EZX10RF which triggers an Insteon device "on" code, this is picked up by my ISY-99ir, which triggers a programmed event. In my case it sends a line to my computer's web server program (using the network resource feature) that reacts by muting my computer's speakers. This complicated chain takes considerably less than a second to accomplish from button press to mute computer speakers. If I chose to have the ISY99 simply turn a light on instead of dealing with network commands, etc., I would assume that this would have a similar less than 1 second delay. Instead, I find a consistent 1-2 second delay. Is this some technical limitation, or is it just my setup?

rslaufer

With everything being the same up to the point where either a network command or Insteon command is issued the first thing I would look at is the reliability of communication to the device being turned On. Insteon automatically retries multiple times so the device may turn On but is actually reacting to one of the retries. Try a test with different devices. Pick some closer to the ISY PLM where powerline quality is less a question.

Lee

EDIT: also remember powerline speed is orders of magnitude slower than an Ethernet connection. It will always take longer to send an Insteon command over the powerline compared to sending a network message.

Archived