faster loading

johnnyt

Hi,

I really like the ISY's rock solid performance with respect to activating scenes and programs. (I assume any delays/hiccups that sometimes occur to be because of Insteon network congestion, not ISY performance.)

I do find, however, that the checking/programming can be a bit painful because of the time it takes to load the GUI, followed by more waiting to load the programs. Then, when I save a program, I have to wait while the system goes busy for another 10 secs. It's hard to do a "quick adjustment" just before going to work or eating dinner...

While the end user experience (WAF) is certainly the priority, I would love to see a better programmer experience if it's possible.

Thanks for considering it.

Hello johnnyt,

We would certainly consider. This said, there are two issues raised here:

1. Loading programs ... there's probably not much we can do (3.1.6 should be just a little better but not that much) since we have to read all the programs and then send them over the network. The performance of this operation depends on the number of programs you have

2. Saving programs and waiting ... this depends on what the programs are doing at that moment. ISY locks the programs task/thread to make sure nothing is going to get corrupted. So, if you have multiple programs running at the same time, you will have to wait for them to give up their execution before you can save/update your programs. Again, not much we can do here since it will cause deadlock and corruption

With kind regards,

Michel

Thanks for the reply.

for 1) loading programs... if possible, perhaps consider initiating background loading of programs (w/ low CPU priority) as soon as devices and scenes are loaded (not before since it would just slow down the loading of devices and scenes...) While this wouldn't help when one is headed straight for programs at start up, might it help in every other case?

Hello johnnyt,

I think that would slow down Admin Console's start up.

A better approach would be to use persistent sockets in the Admin Console. When we started this project, they were not supported but they are now. Obviously, this is a major change since we would have to basically completely change how Admin Console communicates with ISY. This said, I believe this should be done.

Another approach is to cache the programs in the computer and then download if they have been modified. But, I do not like this approach since different computers will have different cache and thus the performance will not be consistent.

With kind regards,

Michel

Archived