Program not running intermitantly

dstrohl

I have two programs, one is intended to turn on a device at a time, and the other turn it off.

For some reason these do not seem to be working -sometimes-, I am not sure if they are not running, or are running and not communicating. I have checked the logs and there is nothing in them when they don't work (they do log the state change when they are working). since these are intermittant, I am not sure exactly where to check to see what the problem was.

one of the things I wanted to try was to have it write a log entry when the program ran. this didn't need to be complex, simply something in the action that would allow me to dump a string into the log file. Worst case, something that just put an entry in the log file without the string that it ran program "x" would be helpfull.

Since that doesn't seem to exist (though please put it on the wishlist!) are there any other ideas, debug log levels or hidden log files that I can look at?

Thanks!

Dan

OK, it looks like it did not run, however the question is why? was the system locked up? or did it skip that program for some reason? (the program simply says when it is 8:30pm, turn on this switch, nothing complex and no other clauses to get caught in).

Thoughts?

Dan

dstrohl

Are the Programs Enabled (Enable column shows On)?

Do either of the Programs show Not Saved in the Activity column?

Is the time shown across the top left of the Admin Console screen correct?

Is the Program in a Folder which has Conditions?

Under the Program | Details screen right click on the Program name, select Copy to Clipboard and post Program

Lee

on the folder:

Folder Conditions for 'Pool'
Add conditions to limit when programs in this folder are allowed to run.

If
  - No Conditions - (To add one, press 'Schedule' or 'Condition')

Then
  Allow the programs in this folder to run.

On the Program itself:

If
       Time is 12:01:00PM

Then
       Set 'Devices - Outside / Pool-Pump' Fast On

Else
  - No Actions - (To add one, press 'Action')

The program is enabled and saved, and the time is correct. Sometimes (most of the time) it does work... however sometimes it just doesn't seem to kick off. (hence the intermittent title of the thread )

I had thought about making another program that would just do something loggable every minute, or every 5 minutes or whatever, just to see if there were any holes in the pattern and to see if they coincided with the missed program times. This might tell me if the system was hanging up during this time, or if it was something specific to the program... but I can't figure out what to do that would always generate a log entry that I could check on. (hint: this is where the log action would be great! :) )

More thoughts?

Dan

• 2 months later...
I don't think the problem is a failure to run the Program. The symptom is much more consistent with an intermittent powerline communication issue with the pool location.

While I tend to agree, without some logging there is little way of checking. Basically, I was trying to find a way of proving that the signal was sent (or at least being sure about it). Since the log file did not have any indication of it at all.

This sort of feature becomes more critical as the complexity of systems increases!

Dan

I am not sure I have any answers for you as to why the program doesn't run - sometimes. I do have a couple of suggestions that you can try.

First try putting a wait 5 seconds in the action before turning the pool pump on. This way if the pool pump doesn’t turn on you can look at the Program Summary page for the Last Start and Last Finish times to verify there is a 5 second difference which would mean the program did run.

Another thing you could try is turning the program false after it runs. Since there is nothing in the condition to cause the program ever to turn false (except after a reboot) but I doubt whether it makes any difference but at least you can rule it out if nothing else.

And the last suggestion is adding a notification to the action of the program (or maybe 2 notifies, one at the beginning the other at the end, just before the run else action. Therefore you should get notification if and when the program runs.

If
       Time is 12:01:00PM

Then

Send Notification email
       Wait 5 seconds
       Set 'Devices - Outside / Pool-Pump' Fast On
       Wait 5 seconds
       Send Notification email
       Run Else (this program name)

Else
  - No Actions - (To add one, press 'Action')

Don’t know if any of it will help but hopefully it will.

Tim

Archived