I feel stupid!

raydoc

I cannot figure out how to assign scenes to 6 and 8 button keypads. I think that I have created scenes. I have figured out some timed events but I cannot find in the wiki an easy way to assign the scenes. I will also want to assign them to a desktop controller.

Ultimately I'd like to have the system monitor my sump pumps (I have the current sensing modules). If they are running I'd like a light to be on. Then, fancy stuff, I would like to have a module to sense switch closure so that I can have a float switch because what is really important is if the float switch closes AND the pumps are not running!

Thanks in advance.

raydoc

A KeypadLinc button can be assigned to the Scene by doing a right click on the KPL button node and select Add to Scene ... A popup will display listing the Scenes. Select the Scene and either add it to the Scene as a Controller or Responder. If added as a Controller it will also be added as a Responder automatically (if node has responder capability).

Lee

Or...you can click-and-drag a button to the scene, from the "my lighting" tree in the admin console. Buttons are no different than any other device in how one adds them to scenes.

Which makes me wonder if you are simply not seeing your buttons in your device list? Is there a little "+" besides your keypad device (I cannot recall for sure if this is the case)? If so, you need to click on it to expand your listing to show all buttons.

Or...you can click-and-drag a button to the scene, from the "my lighting" tree in the admin console. Buttons are no different than any other device in how one adds them to scenes.

Which makes me wonder if you are simply not seeing your buttons in your device list? Is there a little "+" besides your keypad device (I cannot recall for sure if this is the case)? If so, you need to click on it to expand your listing to show all buttons.

I see a list of the IP addresses followed by the text names I've given the dimmers. This is followed by the scenes I'm making.

My first thing I'd like to do is simply be able to turn my upstairs hallway lights on from a downstairs 6KP and vice versa. You know, simply assigning some single matches of a single dimmer to a button so that the button lights when the light is on and is off when the light is on.

I am going to try to assign some scenes to buttons too and I think I see what you are saying. I'll give it a go but I also need the control that I mentioned above.

Is there a decent book on the ISY? I do much better learning from a book than from a wiki.

There is an ISY User Guide which can be downloaded and printed if hard copy is preferred.

Define an ISY Scene.

Add the KPL button to the Scene as a Controller

Add the Switch to the Scene as a Controller

When the ISY is done the KPL button and Switch will be cross-linked such that either can turn the load On/Off and both will reflect the On/Off status. Functionally equivalent to using the Set button method to cross-link the KPL button and Switch. Do not use the Set button method to establish links.

Besides being able to use either the KPL button or Switch, the Scene name can be used in an ISY Program to turn the Scene On/Off. Also by selecting the Scene name in the Admin Console the Scene can be turned On/Off

Note that the ip addresses you refer to are actually Insteon device addresses, not ip addresses.

There is an ISY User Guide which can be downloaded and printed if hard copy is preferred.

Define an ISY Scene.

When the ISY is done the KPL button and Switch will be cross-linked such that either can turn the load On/Off and both will reflect the On/Off status. Functionally equivalent to using the Set button method to cross-link the KPL button and Switch. Do not use the Set button method to establish links.

Besides being able to use either the KPL button or Switch, the Scene name can be used in an ISY Program to turn the Scene On/Off. Also by selecting the Scene name in the Admin Console the Scene can be turned On/Off

Note that the ip addresses you refer to are actually Insteon device addresses, not ip addresses.

Thanks. Got some virtual 3-ways working. I built some scenes for the kitchen and put the switchlincs into the scenes as controllers as well as the buttons from the 6KP. When I try to add the same SW to another scene it says that it is already a controller for the other scene and won't add it to a second scene. I need to have multiple scenes (on multiple buttons of the 8KP and 6KP) that all involve the same group of dimmers. How?

Define an ISY Scene.

Thanks. Got some virtual 3-ways working. I built some scenes for the kitchen and put the switchlincs into the scenes as controllers as well as the buttons from the 6KP. When I try to add the same SW to another scene it says that it is already a controller for the other scene and won't add it to a second scene. I need to have multiple scenes (on multiple buttons of the 8KP and 6KP) that all involve the same group of dimmers. How?

An Insteon Controller, be it a SwitchLinc paddle, an individual KeypadLinc button, etc. can Control only one Scene. SwitchLinc A can have many responders. SwitchLinc B can have many responders. The responders of SwitchLinc A and SwitchLinc B can be the same devices, totally different set of devices or a mixture of both. A device can be a Responder in many Scenes. A device can be a Controller of only 1 Scene. This is Insteon architecture, not ISY design.

Each KeypadLinc button can control a different Scene but each KeypadLinc button can control only 1 Scene.

KeypadLinc button A as a Controller of Scene1

KeypadLinc button B as a Controller of Scene2

KeypadLinc button C as a Controller of Scene3

and so on.

Perhaps if you explain why you need a SwitchLinc with only a single paddle to be able to control multiple sets if devices (Scenes) we can explain how to accomplish within the Insteon architecture.

An Insteon Controller, be it a SwitchLinc paddle, an individual KeypadLinc button, etc. can Control only one Scene. SwitchLinc A can have many responders. SwitchLinc B can have many responders. The responders of SwitchLinc A and SwitchLinc B can be the same devices, totally different set of devices or a mixture of both. A device can be a Responder in many Scenes. A device can be a Controller of only 1 Scene. This is Insteon architecture, not ISY design.

Each KeypadLinc button can control a different Scene but each KeypadLinc button can control only 1 Scene.

and so on.

Perhaps if you explain why you need a SwitchLinc with only a single paddle to be able to control multiple sets if devices (Scenes) we can explain how to accomplish within the Insteon architecture.

Sorry, my lack of clarity. I have many SL and I want them to be multiple scenes. }

For example...

One 8KP at the entrance to my kitchen. 7 SL controlling lights in the kitchen and surrounds. I want to have the buttons on the 8KP control , well, 7 scenes (can't be 8 as the 8KP uses the first button for the local dimmer which isn't connected to any load). I'd like the lights on the 8KP to be on if they control a single SL and if possible be on if the scene is active. If not they can blink as activated. I was going to use one of the buttons to show if basement lights are on and run a script I saw on the board to show them on and turn them off.

I want to use other 6 and 8 KPs to control scenes of other SLs in the other rooms as well.

and so on.

Sorry, my lack of clarity. I have many SL and I want them to be multiple scenes. }

For example...

One 8KP at the entrance to my kitchen. 7 SL controlling lights in the kitchen and surrounds. I want to have the buttons on the 8KP control , well, 7 scenes (can't be 8 as the 8KP uses the first button for the local dimmer which isn't connected to any load). I'd like the lights on the 8KP to be on if they control a single SL and if possible be on if the scene is active. If not they can blink as activated. I was going to use one of the buttons to show if basement lights are on and run a script I saw on the board to show them on and turn them off.

I want to use other 6 and 8 KPs to control scenes of other SLs in the other rooms as well.

raydoc

Perhaps it will help to understand that one Controller (A) cannot initiate another Controllers (B) Scene by turning On that Controller (B). For example ….

SwitchLincA as Controller of Scene1 has device1 and device2 as responders

SwitchLincB as Controller of Scene2 has device3 and device4 as responders

KeypadLincC button A as Controller of Scene3 CANNOT turn On SwitchLincA and expect Scene1 to turn On. Insteon does not work that way. Scene3 would have SwitchLincA as a responder as well as device1 and device2 as responders. When Scene3 is turned On by pressing KeypadLincC button A the three responders (SwitchLincA, device1, device2) of Scene3 turn On.

Also note that the Primary Load control button on an 8 button KeypadLinc (Main) can be a Controller of a Scene just like any other KeypadLinc button. It does not matter that no physical load is connected to the KeypadLInc.

KeypadLincC button Main is controller of Scene4

KeypadLincC button B is controller of Scene5

KeypadLincC button C is controller of Scene6

and so on

“I'd like the lights on the 8KP to be on if they control a single SL and if possible be on if the scene is active.â€

If I understand the requirement, KeypadLincC button B turns On/Off SwitchLincB and if SwitchLincB is turned On/Off with the paddle KeypadLincC button B should also turn On/Off.

To accomplish this SceneX has KeypadLincC button B as a Controller and SwitchLincB as a Controller. Multiple Controllers of the same Scene. When either SwitchLincB paddle is pressed or KeypadLincC button B is pressed both SwitchLincB and KeypadLincC button B turn On/Off together. The KeypadLinc button LED and the SwitchLinc status LEDs stay in sync.

Lee

raydoc

As a suggestion on how to proceed why don’t you assign names to the various devices you want to use, the KeypadLinc, the 7 SwitchLincs, etc. You pick the names so they will be familiar. Then describe how the devices should interrelate to each other. Pressing SwitchLincA paddle should do what, turn on its load which is a function of hardware so that it not necessary, should turn On KeypadLincX button B for example. Or pressing KeypadLincX button D should turn On SwitchLincD and pressing SwitchLincD paddle should turn On KeypadLincX button D LED. That level of detail. Once the requirement is stated then Scene examples can be offered to accomplish the tasks. If they cannot be accomplished with simple Scenes then where an ISY Program is required in addition to Scenes.

Lee

Archived