KPL v1.6 Misidentified by ISY-26

dkaye

dkaye,

I am so very sorry! You are not alone! SH is coming out with a new firmware for their KPLs shortly. Beyond that, you might experience blinking lights and sometimes a completely unresponsive KPL which may or may not be recoverable by a factory reset.

With kind regards,

Michel

I just installed a version 1.6 8-button KPL and my ISY-26 (v2.6) identifies it as an "Icon LampLinc BI-PHY v.2B". Only the #1 button appears in the list.

SH is coming out with a new firmware for their KPLs shortly.

Thanks, Michel. So do I understand correctly that even a future version of the ISY-26 firmware won't be able to solve my problem? And a newbie question: Is the firmware in a KPL field-upgradeable or do I have to return the new KPL to SH? ...doug

Hello Doug,

Yes, you are correct. And, unfortunately so, the answer is no: no INSTEON device is yet field upgradeable.

With kind regards,

Michel

SH is coming out with a new firmware for their KPLs shortly.

Thanks, Michel. So do I understand correctly that even a future version of the ISY-26 firmware won't be able to solve my problem? And a newbie question: Is the firmware in a KPL field-upgradeable or do I have to return the new KPL to SH? ...doug

Hello,

I just purchased my ISY-26, and recently did warranty replacements on some keypadlincs, receiving version 1.6 in the exchange. When I try to add links to these via ISY, I experience a short delay then an error (not the misidentification mentioned in another post). If I understand correctly what is in this thread, this is due to a defect in the keypadlinc firmware, and cannot be fixed by a new version of the ISY firmware? The keypads did seem to work correctly with Houselinc Desktop, although a long string of other issues with Houselinc are what drove me to try the ISY-26 in the first place (along with the chance to do timers and triggers finally).

At this point, I'm trying to decide whether to return the ISY to smarthome within my 30 days. If I can't program all my devices with it, it is not useful to me. (I have a large installation, with 19 keypadlincs, and roughly 70 other insteon devices.) Otherwise, I've been very pleased in my early experiments with the ISY-26, and am reluctant to part with it. Any insight into the problem with the version 1.6 keypadlincs would be greatly appreciated.

mark

Edit

Hello Mark,

The issues you are experiencing are limited to KPLs 1.5/1.6 ... SH has suggested that they will come out with new 1.7 versions soon and, in the meantime, we are trying to come up with our own workarounds. Unfortunately, at this juncture, I cannot guarantee that we'll have any workarounds simply because the problems are quite intermittent and in varying nature. May I humbly ask how many KPL 1.6s you currently have?

With kind regards,

Michel

Hello,

I just purchased my ISY-26, and recently did warranty replacements on some keypadlincs, receiving version 1.6 in the exchange. When I try to add links to these via ISY, I experience a short delay then an error (not the misidentification mentioned in another post). If I understand correctly what is in this thread, this is due to a defect in the keypadlinc firmware, and cannot be fixed by a new version of the ISY firmware? The keypads did seem to work correctly with Houselinc Desktop, although a long string of other issues with Houselinc are what drove me to try the ISY-26 in the first place (along with the chance to do timers and triggers finally).

At this point, I'm trying to decide whether to return the ISY to smarthome within my 30 days. If I can't program all my devices with it, it is not useful to me. (I have a large installation, with 19 keypadlincs, and roughly 70 other insteon devices.) Otherwise, I've been very pleased in my early experiments with the ISY-26, and am reluctant to part with it. Any insight into the problem with the version 1.6 keypadlincs would be greatly appreciated.

mark

I recently bought 11 KPLs which are V1.6. I've installed 3 and haven't had any problems. Is there test that I could do that would expose possible issues? I'm finding it hard to believe that mine would work OK while other peole are having problems.

Hi Rowland,

a) Try adding one using Add New Insteon Device ... if it fails, then continue with the following tests

B) In some cases, the KPL responds back as a LampLinc

c) Try adding the KPL load and one of the buttons in the same scene with at least 10 other devices (one or two of which should also be controllers). This will exercise the KPL internals

d) If © works, then you are possibly OK

e) The ultimate test is to do a restore on it

With kind regards,

Michel

I recently bought 11 KPLs which are V1.6. I've installed 3 and haven't had any problems. Is there test that I could do that would expose possible issues? I'm finding it hard to believe that mine would work OK while other peole are having problems.

I was able to restore one of these KPLs. Does this mean that that one KPL is OK? For each of these KPLs, do I need to install and test in the same way?

[rant]

Word word Smarthome word word ... Smarthome word word ... Smarthome word word....

[/rant]

Thank you, I feel better now.

Hi Rowland,

If you really want to be sure that your KPLs are functioning properly, then YES. You should make them work hard (add them to a few scenes) and then do a restore on them.

With kind regards,

Michel

I was able to restore one of these KPLs. Does this mean that that one KPL is OK? For each of these KPLs, do I need to install and test in the same way?

[rant]

Word word Smarthome word word ... Smarthome word word ... Smarthome word word....

[/rant]

Thank you, I feel better now.

Is it possible that the only problem with the V1.6 firmware is that it won't respond correctly to a category ID request? I loaded up one of my V1.6 KPLs with scenes such that it has 42 links. I had one Restore Device failure and one that worked. But, I sometimes get random communication failures that I've been meaning to address. I.E., I can't rule out a communication failure as the cause of the Restore Device failure. The Restore Device takes a long time, increasing it's exposure to a random communication error.

I plan to try the same experiment with one of my V1.4 KPLs later today.

Rowland,

If at any point in time, your KPL stops responding, then that's what I'd worry about. By stop responding I mean:

You can turn on/off individual buttons and the backlight follows but the KPL neither sends nor receives INSTEON messages.

If you have random communications problems, then I wouldn't worry about it.

With kind regards,

Michel

Is it possible that the only problem with the V1.6 firmware is that it won't respond correctly to a category ID request? I loaded up one of my V1.6 KPLs with scenes such that it has 42 links. I had one Restore Device failure and one that worked. But, I sometimes get random communication failures that I've been meaning to address. I.E., I can't rule out a communication failure as the cause of the Restore Device failure. The Restore Device takes a long time, increasing it's exposure to a random communication error.

I plan to try the same experiment with one of my V1.4 KPLs later today.

• 4 weeks later...

Michel,

I just added a KPL v1.6 and it is not responding to the ISY. It does seem that the response of the version 1.6 does vary based everyone experiences in the various posts. I can set it up with HouseLinc, but in the ISY when I try to install device I get "Request Failed".

What is the status of 2.7 and a fix for this?

What is the status of SH's version 1.7 KPL?

At this point is it a matter of waiting for one of those two events to happen?

Thanks,

Bob

Hello Bob,

1.6 does not respond to ID Req and, as such, you cannot use New Insteon Device. Please use Start Linking instead.

2.7 beta has been out for a day now. If you are interested, please send an email to support@universal-devices.com.

With kind regards,

Michel,

I just added a KPL v1.6 and it is not responding to the ISY. It does seem that the response of the version 1.6 does vary based everyone experiences in the various posts. I can set it up with HouseLinc, but in the ISY when I try to install device I get "Request Failed".

What is the status of 2.7 and a fix for this?

What is the status of SH's version 1.7 KPL?

At this point is it a matter of waiting for one of those two events to happen?

Thanks,

Bob

Michel,

As always, thank you for your quick reply...

I'm very interested in trying the 2.7Beta, so I'll send in a request.

I'm always impressed how quickly you guys move and get new stuff out!

Thanks,

Bob

Hi Bob,

My pleasure and I still haven't received your request!

With kind regards,

Michel

Michel,

As always, thank you for your quick reply...

I'm very interested in trying the 2.7Beta, so I'll send in a request.

I'm always impressed how quickly you guys move and get new stuff out!

Thanks,

Bob

Archived