KPL Dimmer 6-button: Main "Off" button backlight limits??

simonw

Hello,

I am trying to eliminate the LED backlighting from a 6-button KeyPadLinc 2486D, Rev .2D. The LED backlight controls (accessed through the ISY-99i).

Basically this works, I can set the on/off levels to 0 and the specified button goes dark. Unless it's the main "off" switch, the wide bottom button. That one button insists on remaining lit even when the backlight level is set to 0 for both on and off states. "On" has gone dark, but "Off" just won't go away. Level 0, still on.

Is this to be expected, or an error in the switch perhaps, or in the ISY not issuing the right commands?\\Cheers,

Simon

With the KPL6 the bottom "OFF" button, while representing the off state, is actually only off...when the device is turned on. As far as I know there is no way to completely turn off the lighting for that button.

With the KPL8 the 2 bottom buttons behave like all the others.

simonw

Search the Smarthome forum for this subject. There is some trick of putting the bottom OFF button into a pseudo non toggle Off mode. There is some manual button sequence that has to be done as the OFF button cannot be rotated through the 3 standard toggle/non toggle On/non toggle Off modes that most buttons can be assigned because it is a dedicated OFF button. In non toggle Off mode the button flashes twice (maybe 3 times) and then goes back to dark (normal non toggle Off LED operation).

Lee

simonw

I found this post on the Smarthome forum.

The easiest way to do this is to toggle the large ON/OFF button pair in and out of toggle/non-toggle mode, using the 10-5-5 method. This is only relevant to 6-button KeypadLincs.

Here's how:

1. P&H (press and hold) large ON or OFF button for 10 seconds, putting it into linking mode.

2. P&H for 5 seconds, putting it into unlinking mode.

3. P&H for another 5 seconds until LED's stop blinking

Now the OFF LED will not illuminate when the local load is OFF. To undo, just 10-5-5 it again.

Lee

EDIT: I found another post that describes a similar sequence but with different timing

Hold off button for 10 seconds, get a beep and the on/off pair start to flash.

Hold off button again for 10 seconds, get a beep, they continue to flash.

Hold off button a third time for 10 seconds, get a beep, lights stop flashing. Now press the On button, then press the Off button to see the LED stays off.

Repeat the procedure twice to turn it back on.

Thank you all for jumping in and helping so quickly.

I've tried Lee's 10-10-10 method from the SH forums and it works!

The bottom button (and the load) flashed each time I held the big "off" down for a count of approx 5-10 seconds, and eventually it went dark after turning the load on and then off again.

The LED problem is fixed. Now I have to wrestle with the On button to turn the load on - seems I have to press and hold On, certainly the behavior has changed, used to be a simple push and release. I can live with this; hope the wife can too.

Cheers,

Simon

simonw

Try a double tap of the ON button. This produces a Fast On which overrides the Local On Level and Local Ramp Rate settings. If a double tap turns the load On to 100% and does it quickly it sounds like On Level (applied locally) and/or Ramp Rate (applied locally) values have changed. Try moving the sliders one at a time to some midpoint to change settings. Each change will be written to the KeypadLinc. Then move the sliders to 100% On Level and 0.1 Ramp Rate.

There was no mention on the Smarthome forum about the trick changing the Local On Level or Local Ramp Rate.

Lee

Thank you all for jumping in and helping so quickly.

I've tried Lee's 10-10-10 method from the SH forums and it works!

The bottom button (and the load) flashed each time I held the big "off" down for a count of approx 5-10 seconds, and eventually it went dark after turning the load on and then off again.

The LED problem is fixed. Now I have to wrestle with the On button to turn the load on - seems I have to press and hold On, certainly the behavior has changed, used to be a simple push and release.

I believe the press-and-hold sequence you're going through is modifying the the KPL to act like a KPL8 rather than a KPL6. If you press the left side of On button you shouldn't have a problem (I would think the same would be true for the Off button but then I wasn't aware this method would work without swapping out the keys so I'm stabbing in the dark...pun intended.)

I found this post on the Smarthome forum.

The easiest way to do this is to toggle the large ON/OFF button pair in and out of toggle/non-toggle mode, using the 10-5-5 method. This is only relevant to 6-button KeypadLincs.

Lee, on the newer 6 button KPL’s (newer as in the last couple of years) you can turn off the “Off†backlight by selecting Non-Toggle for the first node in the admin console of the ISY (KPL set up). Does that not work on the earlier version kpl’s? Just curious.

Thanks,

Tim

For the record, my klunky "On" button behavior was the KPL device changing to 8-button style, it didn't need double-tapping. I switched it back to 6-button mode by repeating the 10-10-10 procedure Lee. Now the KPL is back to regular 6-button mode, matching the physical buttons, and the LED backlight is still off.

Success! Thank you.

Simon

on the newer 6 button KPL’s (newer as in the last couple of years) you can turn off the “Off†backlight by selecting Non-Toggle for the first node in the admin console of the ISY (KPL set up).

Woot! Thanks, this works for me. Thanks.

Archived