Toggle KeyPadLinc Button

TimoJones

I have an Evening Scene defined and working on button A of a KPL6. I have button B linked to a SwitchLinc which controls a light contained in my Evening Scene. If I have button B on and I press button A to activate the scene, I want the light to go off on Button B. In addition, I want the light to go off on a Button B on a different KPL6. I've searched the forums but can't find the right answer. Can someone point me to a thread or provide some counsel?

Thanks

TimoJones

A Secondary KeypadLinc button (B) cannot be turned Off when button A turns the Scene On. Many devices can be turned Off with a Scene On but Secondary KeypadLinc buttons cannot. Define an ISY Program that triggers when KPL button A is pressed On. The Program will turn a Scene Off which has the various KPL B buttons as Responders.

Lee

Thanks, makes sense. To restate, in order to programmatically change the status of KPL buttons, I need them in an actual scene (even if the scene only gets called from the program) and I then call the scene within my program.

One other item, is this section in the Wiki accurate?

http://www.universal-devices.com/mwiki/ ... KeypadLinc

I can't see a "Mutually Exclusive Buttons" button anywhere and from what I understand, the button grouping approach is discouraged now in preference of using scenes. Who updates the Wiki?

Thanks again.

“To restate, in order to programmatically change the status of KPL buttons, I need them in an actual scene (even if the scene only gets called from the program) and I then call the scene within my program.â€

Exactly right. Applies only to Secondary KPL buttons. KPL load control button (Main or ON/OFF) can be controlled without a Scene.

Mutually exclusive buttons are defined using Button Grouping. The problem with mutually exclusive buttons is they work only on the device where the KPL button is pressed. They do work but most times multiple KPLs are used and KPL buttons that are Responders reacting to a KPL button press of a different KPL do NOT honor the mutually exclusive definition. The result is multiple Responder KPL buttons are On because nothing turns the others Off. You need a Program to do the other KPL button management anyway.

I can't see a "Mutually Exclusive Buttons" button anywhere and from what I understand, the button grouping approach is discouraged now in preference of using scenes.

Last I checked, I still had the option for a "mutually exclusive" relationship, programmable from the ISY. It has, however, been a while since I looked. In addition to this ability, I vaguely recall that one can program this behavior directly at the keypad (I think it is called button grouping in the keypad manual). I also percieve a bias here in favor of scenes.

As I understand, mutually exclusive relations are managed by the device itself, and apply only within a single device. Your desire to turn muliple secondary buttons off in response to a scene "on" command suggests that a mutually exclusvie relationship would not work for you. A program would be necessary.

Archived