What do I need to get started?

elvisimprsntr

BACKGROUND

I am considering investing in the ECM-1240, but wanted a sanity check before I drop some coin. I have an Ethernet HUB in a video junction box right next to my electrical panel.

WHAT

From reading the forums and doc this is what I think I need:

1. ECM 1240 - A/200 Pkg

2. EP-1 Ethernet Adapter

3. ISY BruTech Module

Good question.

Long answer... As I continue to increase the number of electronics (mostly my home theater) and computers in my home I have seen steady increases in my electricity usage. For example, when a computer streaming live TV stopped working my electricity bill dropped $30 per month. Some of that savings was due to a reduction seasonal AC usage, but I will never know for sure. If I can add a Brultech to monitor heavy loads and zones with heavy usage or a lot of electronics with parasitic power draw, I will actually be able to measure the effect of tweaking my AC profile, automated lighting cycles, and moving some electronics to switched power. I assumed the Brultech would help me make quantative based decisions, help reduce my carbon footprint, and save money. Eventually I hope the ISY or Brutech can tap into demand based rate information to highlight the cost of usage as my provider rolls out such services.

Short answer... I am a techno nut who also beta tests apps for other iOS developers.

If there is a better or more cost effective way to acomplish this I am all ears. Maybe I can file for a government grant to help pay for my tech addiction.

Hello elvisimprsntr,

Thanks so very much for the detailed explanation.

If all you are looking for is to measure some of your plugged in devices, then the most cost effective solution would be in iMeter Solo (but you will have to query them every minute). With Brultech, you will have to configure Brultech and then install "correct" CTs (Current Transformers) in your breaker panel.

Pros for Brultech:

1. Much more accurate than iMeter Solo

2. Up to 7 Channels

Cons for Brultech:

1. Setup and configuration is difficult

2. If you use EP1, the range of the Zigbee radio might be an issue

Pros for iMeter Solo:

1. Pay as you go

2. Integrated with other INSTEON nodes in the device tree/programs

Cons for iMeter Solo:

1. If you have more than 3 circuits that you want to monitor, the cost is going to be more than Brultech

2. You have to query iMeters continuously and thus it might have a negative impact on other INSTEON traffic (the more you have the worse it gets)

In all solutions, if you need historical data, you will need a portal to gather/chart/archive energy information as ISY does not currently support historical data.

With kind regards,

Michel

Archived