How To: Configure All In One Router/Modem (ACTIONTEC)

Don't take it so literally. :)

You need to find the IP address of your ISY. When you open the admin interface, the web browser with the UDI logo will show you the IP address in the address bar.

So, if your ISY's IP address is 192.168.1.102, you would:

- click START, then RUN

- type in CMD and hit enter

- in the black box, type: TELNET 192.168.1.102 126

Good luck!

MikeB,

I got that, but when I put it in the command it comes back with a message Could not open connection with host, on port 23: Connection Failed.

Sorry to ask so many questions.

AnthemAVM,

You do need the 126 at the end so:

telnet 192.168.1.102 126

With kind regards,

Michel

Don't take it so literally. :)

You need to find the IP address of your ISY. When you open the admin interface, the web browser with the UDI logo will show you the IP address in the address bar.

So, if your ISY's IP address is 192.168.1.102, you would:

- click START, then RUN

- type in CMD and hit enter

- in the black box, type: TELNET 192.168.1.102 126

Good luck!

MikeB,

I got that, but when I put it in the command it comes back with a message Could not open connection with host, on port 23: Connection Failed.

Sorry to ask so many questions.

Actually you can replace the actiontec as long as you connect the Actiontec router to the new router. In a nutshell:

Call Verizon and ask them to activate your Ethernet port on the ONT. This will disable the coax port (MoCA), but that's ok. As long as the actiontec is connected your FIOS will still receive updates and program infomration. You will need to log in to the Actiontec router and "release" your IP address that your router gets from Verizon.

You will also need to run an cat 5 cord from the ONT to your new router location.

I started receiving notifications as soon as I plugged the ISY into MY new router. Plus, my internet connection speed increased from 9mb/s to 12.

Read the attached article and brush up on your knowledge of the ONT and the Ethernet/MOca ports. I had to tell the Verizon rep that one of their techs told me this could be done - I told them everything I knew and they finally they allowed me to do it. They activated the Ethernet port over the phone!

It will take some persistence - I ran a new cat5 connection from the new router to the ONT while I was on the phone holding for the rep (1.5 hrs) but it was worth it!

Here's a link I found on broadbandreports.com. I think they also talk about how poorly the actiontec router performs with UPnP applications (NAT errors). Good luck and feel free to email if you have questions!

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r176791 ... ork-bridge

• 3 months later...

Hello,

If you have version 2.6.1 and above, then the port is 443 and your external URL should be httpS://your.exteral.ip.address .

Otherwise, please go to Help->About. In My URL field, the port is the number after the ':' in your URL. So, if you have http://192.168.1.101:62345 then the port is 62345.

With kind regards,

Michel

How do I find my port on a Vista machine?
  • 1 year later...

I have spent the better part of a day working on my Verizon Fios Actiontec MI424-WR modem/router.

I have several thoughts I would like to share as this thread was tremendously helpful and I would like to add to it.

don't let it spook you - but use caution and common sense - be sure you know what you change so you can put it back - from what i read on a forum about our router, even the most seasoned pc nerdlincs say the interface menus make no sense

i use xp/pro

from the other thread, michel posted these instructions

So, here are the instructions:

a. Make ISY use a static IP address:

I am not sure that a static IP address is necessary with this router. The first screen you come to when you attempt to forward ports is "Add Port Forwarding Rule" Rather than specifying an IP address on your network to port forward to, this router allows you to specify a device. If you specify a device (the isy) I believe the applied port forwarding rule created will follow that device to whichever IP address the router assigns it. This is how I am doing it now and it appears to work flawlessly.

Protocol

with another red 'Add' - click it once and it brings up a panel titled 'edit service'

in red, you will see 'add server ports' - click that and the 'edit service server ports' panel appears

next to this

Protocol

is a dropdown menu - select tcp and the panel changes - leave the source port as 'Any' - next to this

Destination Ports:

ia another dropdown menu - select 'single' and the panel displays an entry area - type in the port that your isy is using (mine is 16618)

click apply and it will think a second or two, then take you back to the 'edit service' panel - click apply again and it will take you back to the 'add port forwarding rule' panel - click apply again

it should take you back to the 'you ain't smart enough' display - click yes and the main port forwarding display screen should appear

Any for the source port is not correct. In effect, what you are doing is creating a "DMZ" device out of ISY; this means that all requests to any ports on your router will be directed to ISY's port (16618) which, of course, cannot handle any other requests except those that it understands! So, in short, the source port should be = destination port = the ISY's port (16618 in your case).

HAS,

Please try the Any for source port ( I was wrong ... it has to be Any since we tested it with Sloop and it didn't work any other way). We will figure this out one way or another since out of the 3 clients with ActionTec/FIOS, yours is the only one that seems to be causing problems. Please let me know if you wish me to call and get this resolved quicker.

With kind regards,

Michel

First off, Sloop and Michel, I think there is a much easier way of accomplishing this. I have read the instruction manual for this router and have come up with this:

If you simply select "HTTPS - Secured Web Server" from the protocol drop down it creates a rule: "TCP Any -> 443" the exact rule created by manually adding a server port as Sloop did and I did initially. This further buttresses the claim that the source port needs to be set for Any. Michel, I think setting the source port to any at this point does not in fact create a DMZ Host. While I am not clear what this function is for in this router, I found a preexisting rule for the local host and it included any as its source port... in the server port subsection, not in the parent port forwarding rule. You still have the selection "Forward to Port:" set as "Same as incoming port" in the rule. While all this is a bit confusing I think setting the isy up in this router could be as simple as a couple of steps.

If you have an isy with the default port of 443 still set and set for DHCP I think all you need to do is connect it to your Actiontec router, let it get an IP address and follow these steps:

1. Login to your router

2. Click Firewall

3. Click yes

4. Click Port Forwarding in the left hand Navigation screen

5. Click the add in the bottom left of the screen

6. Select the ISY in the "Networked Computer / Device:" drop down menu

7. Select the HTTPS in the "Protocol" drop down menu

8. Click Apply

This will create a rule that should chase your isy. The rule created will be identical to what Sloop made, but the server port settings will be put in by the router. No need to set the isy to a Static IP, no need to configure the router to deal with a Static IP, no need to specify server ports.

And now on to the issue of Dynamic IP from the ISP:

It appears from the manual that this router will update http://www.dyndns.com/ if you use that as you DNS Hosting site. In the advanced settings you simply select Dynamic DNS and input your DYNDNS account info and wamo, you have an updating account without any client having to run on your computer. I just did this yesterday, so we will see how it works when Verizon changes the public IP. I have my fingers crossed.

• 4 months later...

And now on to the issue of Dynamic IP from the ISP:

It appears from the manual that this router will update http://www.dyndns.com/ if you use that as you DNS Hosting site. In the advanced settings you simply select Dynamic DNS and input your DYNDNS account info and wamo, you have an updating account without any client having to run on your computer. I just did this yesterday, so we will see how it works when Verizon changes the public IP. I have my fingers crossed.

Okay, 5 months later, Verizon changed my public IP. The DYNDNS service worked perfectly, apparently being notified of the change by the router itself.

• 4 months later...

I installed a Windows Home Server in the house and it also wanted the port of 443, so I moved the ISY over to 444.

Since then I have been having problems with the error and memory light blinking on my ISY. (Problem Communication with Network Error). Anyone know if it has to do with my changing the ISY over to the 444?

Thanks for the input.

Hi AnthemAVM,

They might be unrelated OR perhaps another device on your network is using port 444. For custom ports, it's always best to use a number above 1200 (1500 and above are much safer).

If you can access your ISY, I wouldn't worry about infrequent mem/error lights. If they become frequent, then we have to figure out the cause: you might want to reboot your router especially if you use ISY to configure port forwarding.

With kind regards,

Michel

Hi AnthemAVM,

They might be unrelated OR perhaps another device on your network is using port 444. For custom ports, it's always best to use a number above 1200 (1500 and above are much safer).

If you can access your ISY, I wouldn't worry about infrequent mem/error lights. If they become frequent, then we have to figure out the cause: you might want to reboot your router especially if you use ISY to configure port forwarding.

With kind regards,

Michel

Michel,

I wiill move it tonight, after I reset the ISY or PLM.

The problem is with these errors is I can not get into the ISY at all.

Thanks

Michael

AnthemAVM,

Did you use my steps to set up the port forwarding rule?

If you used my step by step directions several posts back, this surely is the problem. My directions were to make the set up for the average user as easy as possible.

The first qualification I put before the steps was: "If you have an isy with the default port of 443"

AnthemAVM,

Did you use my steps to set up the port forwarding rule?

If you used my step by step directions several posts back, this surely is the problem. My directions were to make the set up for the average user as easy as possible.

The first qualification I put before the steps was: "If you have an isy with the default port of 443"

Illusion,

I see them, will need to check it out. I have been lucky it has worked great on 443 for years, so never focused back on this thread.

Thanks for the heads up.

• 2 weeks later...

HELP!!!

Ever since I installed the WHS on my network, which took over the port 443, my ISY is getting an error every night.

I have moved my ISY to port 1501, and confirmed that nothing else is sharing it. It works fine, and then sometime during the night it gets the red error light with the blinking memory light.

Any idea what I might be doing wrong?

I am running 2.7,13 and have port forwarding open in the router.

Thanks

Hi AnthemAVM,

You mentioned that this started happening after you installed WHS. If this is indeed the case:

1. Can you try an shutdown WHS, wait about 5 minutes, and let me know if the lights stop blinking

2. Is it at all possible another device on your network has the same IP address as ISY?

With kind regards,

Michel

Michel,

The lights don't go away, looks like the ISY and the router only talked for about an hour after I reset both yesterday.

Thanks for your help in fixing this.

Archived