Automated door knobs

dss

Hello dss,

Not sure if you are looking for a deadbolt or a locking handset (you linked to both below).

If you are looking for a deadbolt... Unless something has changed in the Schlage design, it will not throw the bolt to lock the door (no motor). The "lock feature" simply disengages the external lever so that the door cannot be unlocked without a code.

The Kwickset model does include a motor, and does report lock/unlock status.

Hmm, that's a good point. Hadn't really thought about the difference between Kwikset and Schlage dead bolts, motorized vs un-motorized. All our doors have both a locking lever and a deadbolt. If I just do the levers it wouldn't make a difference I guess. Doing the deadbolts too would look a little funny having a keypad for each. What are others doing/planning?

My two cents but you could use the lock of your choice combined with a triggerinc. Then use the ISY and a program to give you the status. Could also use Growl to send push notifications. Then you could be confident the door is closed and the lock engaged or accessed. I do a similar thing for my garage door for day to day entry/exit and while on vacation. This way while on vacation if the garage door opens I am notified via push notification (along with the sheriffs department via our monitored security system). FWIW.

• 2 weeks later...

I've had the Schlage since Radio Shack had them on sale for about $70 last year using it in my front door. Yes, there is no motor but having the ability in the ISY99 to detect codes would be a big plus, e.g. turning on lights, knowing who and when entered a code, adding a panic button code (adding the Elk M1 Gold is my summer project), etc.

• 1 month later...

Hi Michel,

Do you have an approximate time line for z-wave support? I am also very interested in a z-wave or zigbee controlled door lock. Similarly, when I ordered the ISY994z/pro, I thought I could control any zigbee devices such as a lock. But it seems not :-(

If ISY can support it, I don't have to expand ELK M1 to support z-wave, which requires two devices.

Thanks.

Shawn

Hello m_later,

I am so very sorry to hear. As with everything Zigbee, there's really no guarantee of interoperability.

If you decide to keep your unit, you can send an email to sales@universal-devices.com and when our ZWave dongle comes out (very shortly), then we'll swap out your Zigbee radio with a ZWave one. The process is quite simple; all you have to do is to change a daughter board.

With kind regards,

Michel

• 3 weeks later...

Michel:

I'm an early ISY adopter

I have the plain ISY99i with latest firmware. When you release the ZWave adapter, will it retrofit into this unit as well?

I just moved and in the process of installing my Elk/ISY/Insteon setup in my new home but wanted to add a lock or two.

Thanks!

J

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I too am interested in an automated door lock system. It appears the Kwikset locks come in Zigbee as well as Z-Wave flavors. It also appears that Kwikset is the only lock manufacturer that posts status (Morning Industries just responds to signals from the Insteon MorningLinc...but no status info is returned). The Schlage system seems to be exclusively Z-wave, and it appears they want you to sign up for $12/mo to use their web-interface. If/when ISY-994 comes out with a Z-wave module, will that module communicate 2-way with the Schlage?

In the meantime, it appears the Kwikset is the only sensible game in town (note that Kwikset also has a bump-resistant key set...which is an important feature for front door security systems that is often not available from other vendors). The big question: When will ISY-994 be able to test two way communications with the Kwikset locks and start advertising compatibility (either Zigbee OR Z-wave)?

Thanks

Hello healeydriver,

Comments below.

I too am interested in an automated door lock system. It appears the Kwikset locks come in Zigbee as well as Z-Wave flavors. It also appears that Kwikset is the only lock manufacturer that posts status (Morning Industries just responds to signals from the Insteon MorningLinc...but no status info is returned). The Schlage system seems to be exclusively Z-wave, and it appears they want you to sign up for $12/mo to use their web-interface. If/when ISY-994 comes out with a Z-wave module, will that module communicate 2-way with the Schlage?

You will not need Schlage's service and neither do you have to pay the monthly fees. Communications will be two way.

In the meantime, it appears the Kwikset is the only sensible game in town (note that Kwikset also has a bump-resistant key set...which is an important feature for front door security systems that is often not available from other vendors). The big question: When will ISY-994 be able to test two way communications with the Kwikset locks and start advertising compatibility (either Zigbee OR Z-wave)?

We have not been able to get the APIs for Zigbee. ZWave is much more likely

With kind regards,

Michel

Thanks for the quick reply!... Does the ISY994 have a Z-Wave box now that will work ok with the Schlage device? (I'm guessing that I'd use the ISY994 as my means for connecting to the internet (and to my house LAN)...but I am still wrestling with which device to use for the Z-Wave interface.) All the rest of the devices in my house are Insteon, and I was planning on buying the plain vanilla ISY994; however, if the ISY994 now has a Z-wave interface, then it would become a good candidate.

Thanks for clarifying things

Hi healeydriver,

994i series comes with an interface which allows you to either install our Zigbee daughter board OR ZWave serial dongle (not both). So you can have INSTEON and ZWave at the same time.

We are still in alpha ... if you would like to be notified of when we are in Beta, please sign up for either Beta and/or News here:

http://sales.universal-devices.com/my-account

With kind regards,

Michel

• 4 months later...

I saw your comment on interop and also noticed that HAI says "The ZigBee integration has been specifically verified with the Black & Decker Kwikset SmartCode locks, but it should work with other locks that support the standard ZigBee Home Automation profile lock cluster. "

What are the chances of getting the profile lock cluster on the zigbee units? I'm going this way (I think) due to needing multiple energy monitors and hopeful eventual Hue light support. If this is standardized enough it seems UDI should be able to tackle this without info from Kwikset (that is suggested earlier in the thread is required)

Hi bsobel,

It's really not about the radio but incompatibility between stacks. For instance, SEP requires ECC and authentication. HA requires a specific link key for discovery and there are a lot of limitations as far as what you can do with the nodes. PRO is devoid of anything and just uses Zigbee for communications.

It's a major effort to support multiple profiles mostly because PRO devices (such as Brultech/RCS) use Digi radios which have a completely different end point, profile, and cluster ids.

So, to answer your question: theoretically possible but practically requires a major kludge of a solution and, in all likelihood, not a clean/reliable one.

With kind regards,

Michel

• 1 month later...
994i series comes with an interface which allows you to either install our Zigbee daughter board OR ZWave serial dongle (not both). So you can have INSTEON and ZWave at the same time.

How will someone control BOTH, Zigbee AND ZWave products?

Will TWO ISYs be required?

• 4 weeks later...

Zigbee was designed for commercial venues with energy management/monitoring in mind and not for Home.

Hi Michel,

It seems conceivable with smart meters on every house in california (and now many other states too) and people wanting to track power usage, and SEP1.1 support in the ZS, that people tracking power might also want to control z-wave devices like kwikset electronic locks and lighting (though all my lighting is actually insteon, my preferred preferred electronic deadbolt vendor only does z-wave). Is there any hope for handling z-wave in addition to sep1.1 communication with a smart meter in a single device?

I just ordered the 994i ZS after reading the announcement about the end of life on my 99i... and also in the back of my head I was optimistic that one day firmware for the Nest thermostat would use the zigbee radio (TI CC2530 F256) on it as a "standard" thermostat and motion detection and whatever other sensors it could export, so maybe one day I'd be able to talk to it in automation rules in the 994i ZS.

I realize I'm dreaming out oud, but I just wanted to dispute the "commercial venues" with two now common residential applications of zigbee and the desire to have a remotely controllable deadbolt.

Hi nlaredo,

Of course you can have Z-Wave and SEP 1.1. This said, I think what you are looking for is Z-Wave, INSTEON, and SEP 1.1. For that, we need 3 (or more) ports which the current hardware does not support.

Furthermore, Zigbee SEP is NOT interoperable with any other Zigbee so if we are ever lucky enough to have the APIs to NEST thermostat (Zigbee), then you need the 4th Zigbee radio just to talk to NEST.

Obviously, if you use Multiple ISYs, then you can do all the above and that's the design approach we are taking.

With kind regards,

Michel

Obviously, if you use Multiple ISYs, then you can do all the above and that's the design approach we are taking.

Dang. So I should have kept the Zigbee radio module and bought a second ISY. Seems I am always making mistakes.

Archived