FanLinc may still happen

Brian H

Over in the Smarthome Forums. They have a survey going. On the popularity of a possible FanLinc module. Combination fan speed controller with a light controller.

http://www.smarthome.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9270

Yup, I chimed in there indicating my absolute surprise at the number of people who took the time to answer the survey. :roll:

Pretty pathetic turn out given how many people cried, moan, and bitched about wanting one! :evil: SmartHome went out of their way to ask the customer about how you would control said device, and if you also were interested.

Looks like all those people were never too serious about wanting such a device. :roll: I know SH takes a lot of sh*t for past experiences etc. But, as far as I can tell almost 50% of all previous requests of future improvements in the Insteon tech has been incorporated! :mrgreen:

If I was the vendor seeing the final tally of how many people want this new device would not

make me want to spend any more R&D in this new device.

I for one did take the survey and would really like to see it come out . . .

Teken . . .

Pretty pathetic turn out given how many people cried, moan, and bitched about wanting one! :evil: SmartHome went out of their way to ask the customer about how you would control said device, and if you also were interested.

Looks like all those people were never too serious about wanting such a device. :roll: I know SH takes a lot of sh*t for past experiences etc. But, as far as I can tell almost 50% of all previous requests of future improvements in the Insteon tech has been incorporated! :mrgreen:

If I was the vendor seeing the final tally of how many people want this new device would not

Teken . . .

To be fair that poll was only up for 10 days when they thanked everyone for their responses. I would think any type of serious poll would take longer than 10 days! In the last 2 weeks I have checked in on their forum probably every day and I didn’t see the poll until yesterday. On top of that I know that there are times when I don’t peruse their forum for weeks at a time. So I really don’t think they gave that poll a fair shake.

Besides it sounded to me like they are probably already in production and if that is true it’s a bit late for a fact finding poll, isn’t it?

Teken . . .

To be fair that poll was only up for 10 days when they thanked everyone for their responses. I would think any type of serious poll would take longer than 10 days! In the last 2 weeks I have checked in on their forum probably every day and I didn’t see the poll until yesterday. On top of that I know that there are times when I don’t peruse their forum for weeks at a time. So I really don’t think they gave that poll a fair shake.

Besides it sounded to me like they are probably already in production and if that is true it’s a bit late for a fact finding poll, isn’t it?

Lots of good points for sure. I have a feeling that you're right that this fan link device has already been in R&D and is still waiting for final approval before going into full production.

Having said that: Communication from Smart Home has rarely been very forth coming based on my readings of past threads.

One interesting thing to take note: It appears that the company is in the middle of dropping quite a few items from the Insteon line as well as bundled packages. They seem to be positioning themselves to play in middle ground of the HA world. :roll:

Go to the FCC Database.

http://transition.fcc.gov/oet/ea/fccid/

Type in SBP for Grantee Code:

2475F for Product Code:

FanLinc Module. :D

In the details area.

Internal and external photos and a preliminary users manual.

Note about half of the internal photos are blank.

You may also want to look at

SBP

2441T TempLinc Wireless Thermostat.

Go to the FCC Database.

http://transition.fcc.gov/oet/ea/fccid/

Type in SBP for Grantee Code:

2475F for Product Code:

FanLinc Module. :D

In the details area.

Internal and external photos and a preliminary users manual.

Note about half of the internal photos are blank.

You may also want to look at

SBP

2441T TempLinc Wireless Thermostat.

Brian H,

You're a good, good man! :mrgreen:

Teken . . .

Maybe the survey in the Smarthome Forums is management trying to decide to go forward past the prototype stage.

I am not sure anyone would simply conduct a survey and have spent all this money to have the FCC filing in place. If this product wasn't already in production mode to be honest. I printed off the initial PDF user install guide. :mrgreen:

Thank you again, for your diligence in reviewing the FCC data base to provide this sort of insight and information to the masses! :D

BTW: Did you have any luck viewing the PDF documents for the 2441T?

Teken . . .

• 3 weeks later...

Has used a ???Linc to control a single speed fan. I have a fireplace blower which I always wanted to control via ISY. i.e., light fast on fan runs. When I have a fire, I just double click a switch and the fan runs. I've tried to come up with an idea to control it via heat, but have not been able to dream it. Right now it is a simple timer/Leviton which runs an hour. Three hour movie requires three trips to the switch. Go to bed and the fireplace stays warm for hours but the fan quits after an hour.

Any ideas?

alf

SimpleHomeNet's EZIO8T and EZIO8SA both support a 1-wire temperature sensor. There are other devices that support an analog input. You usually program these devices with trigger levels for on and off. When the sensor hits the on trigger level, the device sends an Insteon On comman. Similarly, when the device hits the Off trigger level, the device sends an Insteon Off command. I don't know if you can actually read the sensor level from such devices in the ISY99i.

You could crate a program that is triggered by a status change from the device. If the device turns On (temperature level met), then the program turns on the fan. If the device turns off, then set a 1 hour wait and then turn the fan off. If the device were to turn on again in the meantime (temperature goes back up), then the wait would be preempted with the new running program, and the fan would keep running.

Some Pseudo Code:

If Status 'Temperature Sensor' is On

Then

Turn 'Fan' On

Else

Wait 1 hour

Turn 'Fan' Off

Good luck.

Has used a ???Linc to control a single speed fan. I have a fireplace blower which I always wanted to control via ISY. i.e., light fast on fan runs. When I have a fire, I just double click a switch and the fan runs. I've tried to come up with an idea to control it via heat, but have not been able to dream it. Right now it is a simple timer/Leviton which runs an hour. Three hour movie requires three trips to the switch. Go to bed and the fireplace stays warm for hours but the fan quits after an hour.

Any ideas?

alf

Can't you just use a thermostat and a relay? Or would you need to put the thermostat someplace where it might get melted?

Perhaps a CAI board and a 1-wire temp sensor and a relay. CAI board can easily be programmed to be a thermostat.

Or, if you wanted to have override capacity, use the Insteon switch with sense and have your themostat relay (CAI or off the shelf model) power up the sense wire on the insteon switch which would turn the fan on. This could be overridden manually or you could have some ISY program override it under whatever circumstances you wanted. To me, this would be the slickest way to do it.

Archived