MorningStar Linc ? What is the purpose of -On -Off device?

rmlinnovator

If you put MorningLinc in a scene as responder, upon scene activation, one locks and the other one unlocks.

That was my initial impression. However, upon installation, I found that I could put either of the two devices in a scene and lock or unlock by sending either an on or off command to the single device. In my mind, this created a bit of redundancy.

Will respond again when confirmed.

I tried to check out my morninlinc, and find it inoperable. The LED is dimly flashing. No communication appears possible. Factory reset does not restore anything. I guess it will be a few days before I can confirm my original belief: on and off devices appeared to serve no separate function. Both would lock or unlock my morning industries door lock.

The individual On/Off nodes perform the same function when Insteon Direct commands are issued to either node.

When the On node is a Responder in a Scene a Scene On will Lock the mechanism. When the Off node is a Responder in a Scene a Scene Off will Unlock the mechanism.

Once a Factory Reset is done the MorningLinc will have to be Deleted and added using Start Linking with the 3rd link record option to reestablish ISY access to the MorningLinc device.

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings,

I'm trying to control a Morninglinc with a Remotelink and not having success. I have linked the ML to the ISY and created a scene with the RL as the controller. I hit the button on the RL and light on the ISY blinks but the lock does not open. The light on the ML does not blink. Any thoughts?

Vince

The way the MorningLinc is added to the ISY is critical. Start Linking must be used and the third linking option to "keep existing links" must be used. Otherwise the MorningLinc will not accept commands from the ISY. If that procedure was not followed when the MonrningLinc was added it must be deleted and added back to the ISY using that method. The UDI Wiki covers the process of adding a MorningLinc to the ISY.

Lee

Unfortunately, my morninglinc failed and a replacement has yet to arrive, so my ISY does not currently have one. I am going by memory.

When you added the morninglinc to the ISY, did you not get two devices: "on" and "off"? I thought both of these needed to be added as responder devices.

Lee,

The ML does control the lock.

I deleted the ML from the ISY and reinstalled it. I could control the lock from the console, opening and closing it. When I created the scene, the RL didn't work and neither did the console any more. I deleted the scene to see if the console would operate the again and it did not, although the current status on console did change when I clicked on and off. Weird.

Weird. When I had SmartLinc (for under a week before ordering an ISY), the morninglinc worked perfectly.

Once I started using the ISY the ML became sketchy. It ended up never responding to commands again and I am replacing it with a new one. Will update once the new one comes.

I plan to use it with a KPL button to open our guest room which is outside the front door of our regular part of the house. I am hoping to use "OFF" as a responder so that the KPL button allows entry into the room and once inside, it can be manually locked. Too bad the ML lock doesn't allow discreet status so we can tell if the door is locked or unlocked.

The FF -- FF for the first link record indicates the ISY PLM has lost authority to communicate with the MorningLinc. The MorningLinc has a special security feature that other Insteon devices do not have.

Suggest a Factory reset of the MorningLinc. Verify the MorningLinc Set button press will continue to cycle the lockset. It should, mine does after a Factory reset. Add the MorningLinc to the ISY again. Sorry about that. It is the only way to establish the ISY PLM as an authorized user of the MorningLinc.

Run Tools | Diagnostics | Event Viewer with Level: Device communications events selected and define the RemoteLinc Scene again. That should show what is happening to the MorningLinc link database that is causing authorization to be lost.

If the Event Log is too big to post send it to lwgwork@embarqmail.com.

Vince

Thanks for that screen post. The FF ---FF is the problem. This link record (or what should be a link record) is what authorizes the ISY PLM to send commands to the MorningLinc. Once it is gone On/Off commands will no longer work. Another user is sending me an event trace of the scene creation. I'll post back with what that analysis shows.

Lee

Archived