HELP!! Can't get into my ISY any more

Daveg01

My internet provider gave me a fixed IP. In trying to configure my ISY I read an article that said to change my settings by unchecking DHCP an making my IP the same as my router (first 3 segments the same, change the last ) the set the gateway and DNS to the new fixed IP address. Now I can't acccess the ISY at all. I have tried typing into my browser both the fixed IP with the altered last segment, and the regular fixed IP that is in the gateway window, no luck. Does anyone know how I can get in?????

Thanks Dave G

There are LAN addresses (your inside network) and then public, Internet addresses. Your provider gave you a fixed public IP. Your LAN addressing is still the same.

In almost all situations your router will translating the one Internet address you have to your various inside addresses.

So changing your public-side Internet address should not, in most cases, require any change to the ISY or anything else on your inside network. The public IP setup inside the router itself is enough.

It will only change how you access your ISY from outside - you now use the new IP to get to your router and the router should direct traffic based on the port you assign to the ISY and mapping rules. This all gets beyond what you need to deal with at the moment.

Putting the ISY at a public IP address will make it inaccessible to your inside network simply because your router sees that address as an outside (Internet) address and tries to send all the ISY traffic to the Internet. As I read your post, that's what you did, yes?

I don't want to get too technical here - there are more esoteric situations that go far past this and since you requested a fixed IP there well could be other things I'm not taking into account, but my initial suggestion is to put the ISY back the way it was and it should work fine.

Unfortunately that won't be entirely simple now since you can't talk to it. You either need to:

(1) use a serial connection to change the addressing in the ISY,

(2) hard-reset the ISY, let it pick up a DHCP address from your inside network and then restore it from a backup,

(3) temporarily setup a workstation with the public IP subnet you've used so you can talk directly to the ISY the way it is currently configured. The workstation will then talk directly to the ISY and not send that traffic to the router.

#3 is the easiest but it is hard to explain the configuration if you aren't familiar with doing it. #2 works quickly but only if you have something that talks serial to the ISY.

Which otherwise leaves the reset / restore. Do not attempt that if you don't have a valid backup. The ISY itself is fine, just not talking to you, and #1 or #3 are available.

Archived