Can't access devices with new computer

ixlr8

My old XP laptop died, I now have a new Win7 laptop. I can access the console, used my old bookmark link, but now I have to login twice. I login to get into the console, then after console loads, it asks me to login again. In the console under Main, My Lighting, I can see the devices, but they all have red exclamation points in front of them. When I highlight a device, it does not show the present status. If I try to command a light on or off.. nothing happens. Any suggestions how to get this working again? What did I miss? The windows firewall was on, I turned it off, no difference.

Thanks- Jim

I dug up an old computer and accessed the console with it. I still get the red ! in front my devices, but now I get an error message saying it can't communicate with that device please check connection. I have not changed the connections. Any suggestions on what to look for?

Check that PLM is connected Tools | Diagnostics | PLM Info. For all devices failing to communicate suggests a PLM problem or something near the PLM that is interfering with all Insteon traffic. PLM is plugged directly into an outlet, no new UPS, PC equipment. A simple test is to plug PLM into extension cord and plug extension cord in another room.

Lee,

The PLM was the problem. The led on the PLM was red, I unplugged it and plugged it back in, did the same with the ISY, all is working now. I have had no issues with this system for 3 years, we recently had a "smart meter" installed, I hope this is not an indication of things to come. I have heard that smart meters can mess with home security and automation systems.

Thanks- Jim

There are a few threads on Smart Meters killing X10 communications and Insteon is not that far away from the X10 power line signal frequency wise and using Zero Crossing for timing.

Some users had no problems others did. Seemed one brand of Smart Meters where more problems than a different manufacturers models.

Some details here. Long thread but has some information on the problems.

http://forums.x10.com/index.php?PHPSESS ... ic=22508.0

Archived