Wiring a INSTEON ToggleLinc in a box with a 3-way switch

thefunconsultant

I am replacing a light switch that is a box with a three-way light switch. (The three way controls the entry hall lights, and the single switch controls the exterior light.) I have identified the line, load and neutral lines for the switch I am changing out but cannot get the switch to come live.

Here is the wiring coming into the box and their connections:

Blue wire (B) – line – goes to the switch I am changing out

Purple wire (P) – load – goes from the switch I am changing to the light outside

White wire with black stripe (WB) – Neutral – comes from the light outside into the box and is bundled with a grey wire and a plain white wire in the box

Orange wire (O) – load – goes to 3-way switch

Red wire ® – line – goes to the 3-way switch

Plain white wire (W) – neutral – bundled with other neutral wires from 3-way switch and single pole switch

Grey wire (G) - neutral – bundles with other neutral wires

Here is my frustration and question. When I attach just the WB to the Insteon neutral the switch will not come to life. When I place the Insteon neutral wire in the bundle with the other neutrals the light comes on and the ISY99 detects it but cannot control it or read its proper state. When I take the Insteon neutral and the WB and G the light works, but I lose the lights on the 3-way. When I use just the G the light will not work. I have traced the wires to the light I am putting the Insteon dimmer on and know they are the right order. However, I cannot get the lights working, and I do not understand what is going on that the wires that run to and from the Insteon switch to the light outside are not enough, and why the grey wire is needed to get the switch to work.

Any thoughts on how this is working, and what I can do to sort it out would be helpful.

The White wire with the black stripe is not Neutral. The Line/Neutral feed for the outside light goes to the light fixture. The pair of wires on the switch being replaced are connected between the Line at the light fixture and light fixture itself.

The advertised Smarthome solution is to install an InLineLInc at the light fixture. Rewire the two wires going to the old switch such that they carry unswitched Line and Neutral which powers an Insteon switch that does not have anything connected to the red load wire. The new Insteon switch is linked to InLineLinc for light fixture control.

If an additional wire can be pulled an alternate solution is to run another wire between the new Insteon switch and the fixture that would connect to the Red load wire on the new Insteon switch.

I agree with LeeG. I suspect some of the wires are other than you describe. Otherwise, blue wire (line) would go to insteon black, purple (load) would go to insteon red, white/gray bundle (neutral) would go to insteon white and all would work.

As I stated earlier, when I do that the new Insteon switch does work. The problem is that with that configuration My 3-way switch does not work (the white neutral wire for that switch is not in the circuit with the gray wire). When I add the white wire from the 3-way switch then I lose the ability for the ISY to control the new switch and read it's status correctly.

As I stated earlier, when I do that the new Insteon switch does work

Which is the reason that I suspect that the wiring is other than how described. An alternative possibility is that I misunderstand your description.

i suspect LeeG has correctly identified the problem. The white wire is a return from the other three-way switch and is not a neutral. This makes me suspect that the WB and gray supply the entry hall light fixtures. To be more certain (at least in my mind) would require a volt meter and opening of the fixture boxes to confirm routing of wires.

On your three way switch, is there a black screw (indicates common). Which wire is connected to that?

Plain white wire (W) – neutral – bundled with other neutral wires from 3-way switch and single pole switch

Are you stating that the neutral wire is connected to the single pole switch somehow? In addition to the blue and purple wire?

Archived