Sunset time off by almost 3 minutes for my area

ahwman

I compared the sunset time on my ISY to the known correct time for my area and it appears that my ISY is reporting 7:34:48 PM vs. 7:37 PM (correct time for Detroit, MI) as of this posting on 03/12/12. Any idea where the ISY pulls this data? I do have daylight savings time checked by the way...

Fly-boy here. I have the exact coordinates for my house and ISY is still a bit off. I can pin-point lat/long to exact. No more than 5 minutes on any given day, just off. I have never understood why.

aLf

My comments re: the times being off are not refering to the visual effect of it. I have several computer programs and also a manual way to figure it per lat/long and they are all withing a few seconds for a ceratin day. ISY has always varied with the others by up to five minutes for a particular morning or night. I have always wondered about the "internal" figuring done by ISY.

I'd have to think that three other programs including a manual formula would lend one to believe that three the same and one different (ISY)---well you do the math. Again, I'm not making a mountain out of this. In fact, I'm happy with it just being close. The fact is something is off.

My guess:

The computer has a floating point math h/w chip and is able to handle long floating point numbers. The ISY does all it's math in software and makes some compromises as to how many decimal points it uses.

Archived