KPL Led Brightness

Skripo

I have a Fanlinc in the master bedroom controlling my fan/light fixture. I also have 2 Remotelinc 2s and one KPL6.

I created a fan scene with the 2 Remotelincs and KPL buttons a,b,c,d in it. I put them in non-toggle off mode. A is on, c is low, b, is med, and d is fast. The Remotelinc 2 b, d, f, h buttons do the same thing.

Everything works properly except for the darn back light on the KPL6 a,b,c,d buttons. The 4 buttons light up regardless of which mode I choose from the remotelincs. Pushing off on the Remotelinc turns off all the lights on the KPL6.

If I am local to the panel, the correct button lights up and the rest stay off.

Real pain at night. What am I doing wrong?

All the button grouping and non-toggle mode applies when the KPL button(s) are pressed locally. Those have no control of the button LEDs when the buttons are controlled from another Controller. Until the very latest v.40 KPL firmware a Secondary KPL button could not be turned Off from another Controller with an On command. Most devices can be turned Off with an On command when the responder On level is set to 0%. Secondary KPL buttons were one of the few exceptions often requiring a separate Scene that is used to send an Off command to turn the Secondary button(s) Off.

With v.40 firmware it is now possible to turn a Secondary KPL button Off with an On command from another Controller. The ISY does not have support to utilize this feature as yet.

Thank you for the explanation. I think I may have explained it wrong, I just wanted any inactive KPL button to be off. No matter how I sliced and diced it with different scenes, every fan speed lit up the 4 centre buttons, I assume becasue each one had some level of activation. It seems that the option to set the state of the the other 3 buttons when one is selected does not work.

I finally went back to my original setup and put the KPL and both Remotelincs in scene 'Fan'. The KPL buttons were all set to 'toggle on'. I then set up 4 separate scenes for each button and wrote a program that would turn off the 3 buttons depending on the fan speed. Off turns off the whole 'Fan' scene.

Maybe I am using it wrong and I suck at programming but it seems to work. Shouldn't the 3 other buttons turn off when I set each of them to 0 in the buttons configuration within the scene?

Sorry I couldn't get the whole screen in one shot:

post-3518-140474155657_thumb.png

post-3518-140474155657_thumb.png

In addition to needing V.40 firmware, ISY has to be updated to support the capability. The screen capture below from 3.2.1 shows a Scene with some KPL Secondary buttons and a RemoteLinc2 button as a Controller (highlighted on left as the selected Controller). Note that when the RemoteLinc2 button is selected as the Controller there are no Secondary buttons in the right pane. This is because up until the just released v.40 KPL firmware the KPL did not support turning a Secondary button Off (0% On Level) with an On command so there was no reason to list the Secondary buttons.

I did mention in a previous post that the ISY did not yet support turning a Secondary button Off with an On command but want to repeat it so my previous post that said v.40 firmware was needed was not understood as the only thing needed. You would need a KPL with v.40 firmware and some future ISY image that supports that capability.

EDIT: when ISY supports turning Off a Secondary KPL button with Scene On the Secondary buttons C,D,E will have sliders displayed so the On Level can be set to 0%. That way when the RemoteLinc2 (or any other Controller) button is pressed On one Secondary button can be turned On and the other Secondary buttons can be turned Off ( with 0% On Level).

post-973-140474155659_thumb.jpg

You are not seeing the sliders when something other than the KeypadLinc buttons themselves are selected. Selecting one of the RemoteLinc2 buttons will not show sliders for the Secondary KPL buttons.

Yes. When the ISY supports turning Off a Secondary KPL button with an On command from another Controller the sliders will be there and all but the object Secondary KPL button can be set to 0% On Level to turn the other buttons Off.

As you say, not as elegant but using Scenes to shut off the KPL buttons has been the solution for all these years. Not sure why SmartLabs decided to add the function to KPLs now. It will be very useful when multiple KPLs are controlling a FanLinc, perhaps that was the driving force.

Archived