How to keep lamplinc status up to date?

blueman2

I am using several lamplincs. One of the nice features of these is that even when turned off via a controller, you can still turn the lamp on by just using the lamp switch. The lampliinc senses when you turn the lamp off then on again, and turns the lamplinc on. However, the lamplinc does not send a signal back to the ISY-99i saying it is now on. ISY shows it as off. Of course, I could constantly query the device, but that would waste a lot of cycles on the ISY, right? Is there a better way to ensure the ISY knows what the status of the lamplinc is?

The reason I need this is that I want to have an LED on my keypadlinc light up if ANY interior light is on. Lamplincs that are turned on my switching the lamp itself are making this hard to do.

What is the exact type number of the LampLinc, what does the Admin Console show for the LampLinc firmware level v.??, and is the LampLinc node Red or Blue in the My Lighting tree?

LampLincs normally do send status changes back to the Admin Console. Bring up Tools | Diagnostics | Event Viewer with Level 3-Device communications events selected. Manually cycle the LampLinc On and Off. Is there Insteon traffic traced when the LampLinc is manually cycled?

No need to run the Event Trace. The 2856D2 does not have Controller capability. It cannot notify another Insteon device that it has been turned On locally. That is why the node is displayed in Blue. Besides the node being Blue (indicating a Responder Only device) take a look at the LampLinc User Guide. There are no instructions for linking the LampLinc as a Controller, only for linking the LampLinc as a Responder.

If you want a LampLinc that has the ability to notify the ISY of local changes, pick one where the User Guide has instructions for linking it as a Controller as well as a Responder.

I don't believe the 2856D2 Icon dimmer ever supported being a controller to any other Insteon devices.

My later 2456D3 LampLinc does.

I looked at the online manuals. The 2457D2 Dual Band and 2457D2X both indicate they can be a controller also.

Archived