Override switch off

firebladeRR1k

I have programs listening for events from the bedroom switches.

This provides the functionality of turning on the hallway and bathroom lights if it is night when the switch is turned on. I also have it where once they return to their room they can turn off the hallway and bathroom light by turning off their own light switch.

When the light is clicked to turn off I would like to introduce a delay in the light actually going off to 15 seconds. This would give them time to get situated in bed before the light went out.

As it is the switch triggers the light to go off and then finishes running the program.

When you press the paddle on a switch, it uses what is called its 'local' ramp rate to turn on or off. There isn't an option onboard the switch itself to program different ramp rates for a local on and a local off, but having an ISY gives you a couple of options.

Option 1: Set the 'local' ramp rate to 20 seconds. Create an ISY program to trigger only when the device control turns on. Have the program turn on a different scene, one with the same switch as a responder but with a quicker ramp rate.

Option 2: Train the users to skip turning the bath light off. They can click On again to trigger a timer program, or they can skip pressing the control entirely and rely on other means to turn off the light. (Absence of motion, light from adjacent room turning on, or a timer triggered by the On signal expiring could all be used to turn the light back off.)

I did not mention, turning the light on is currently setting a timer to turn the lights off after a preset allowed time(15 min), in order to make sure they are not left on all night. It staggers the lights going off back to the room that originated the event. I'm using smartlinc relays; do they have a ramp rate?

The workaround I have right now, is to turn the light back on at the start of the program, wait 15 seconds then turn it back off. I don't like this since it toggles the light and may put undue stress on the bulb (cfl).

I would love a way to some how be able to have the switch not affect any lights but jut have it run a program. In this case the program would adjust the lights as necessary.

I'm using smartlinc relays; do they have a ramp rate?

Negative, relay switches turn on or off.

The workaround I have right now, is to turn the light back on at the start of the program, wait 15 seconds then turn it back off. I don't like this since it toggles the light and may put undue stress on the bulb (cfl).

That approach would definitely reduce the lifespan of the bulb. The preferable option would be to use option 2 above: train the users to tap the On button when entering or leaving the room. Your programs could then watch for the second On signal and use that to trigger the 15 second timer and off command.

I would love a way to some how be able to have the switch not affect any lights but jut have it run a program. In this case the program would adjust the lights as necessary.

You can do that. Cap off the red wire on the SwitchLinc, install an InLineLinc behind the fixture, then use the SwitchLinc to trigger programs which control the InLineLinc.

Archived