Fast blinking on 2476S

Wilbert

I am new but have not been able to find the answer to my problem by searching the forum and reading the user manual

I have a 99i working with (2) 2476S, a 2486S/WH6 KeypadLink and a 2443 Access Point.

I am trying to link to another 2476S but when I press the set button for 3 seconds, the LED lights just blink fast - I can not find a description of what that error code means - what have I done wrong?

Thanks in advance

Are you trying to link the device to another using the Set button or are you trying to identify the device for Start Linking.

If using Start Linking switch to New INSTEON Device. Enter the device Insteon address, a Name of your choice and leave the Device Type set to Auto Discover. Does the device add successfully. It could be an I2CS device which requires 3.2.2.

I am using the Start Linking feature of the Console - is that not the best way to do it?

As to the address, I have installed the light switch already - is it still possible to get the device address after it is installed?

Right now when I press the Start Linking on the console, then I go to the device and press the set button for 3 seconds, the LEDs on the switch then flash quickly - this has not happened with the other switches I installed.

Is that a better explanation?

The Insteon address is on the metal face plate of the SwitchLinc. The Decora plastic cover has to be removed but the SwitchLinc itself does not have to be removed.

Using the Set button with Start Linking is normally fine. I am pretty sure this is a new I2CS device which requires 3.2.2. There is an exchange between the ISY PLM and the SwitchLinc when the Set button is held long enough to generate the device identifier message. If the SwitchLinc does not get an answer from the ISY PLM the new I2CS devices might blink the LEDs as a positive indicator an answer was not received. These I2CS devices have not been out long enough to know all the things they do in exception conditions.

There could be a coupling issue if the new SwitchLinc is on the opposite 120V leg, there could be interference on that specific electrical circuit. The SwitchLinc could be connected to noisy CFLs.

The reason for suggesting the use of New INSTEON Device is twofold. If the ISY PLM cannot communicate with the new SwitchLinc some new messages will be seen since the ISY is initiating contact with the SwitchLinc. Also if an I2CS device the Event Viewer trace will show that.

Thanks for your help

I moved my 2nd access point closer to the switch and tried the New Device as you suggested and it worked.

I have two more switches downstairs but they still do not work. So I am wondering if I need more access points. I believe I have bridged the 2nd phase which I thought would be enough, but clearly something is missing. Our house is about 2500 square feet. How many access points would I typically need (if that is in fact the issue).

I am not sure if this is related, but when I start up the UDI console, it reports that it can not communicate with any of my lights, but when I try to turn them on/off via the console, they do work - is this related?

Thanks for your help

Have you tried the Access Point's built in communications test to see if they are on opposite phases and in RF range of each other.

You could also have some power line signal issues. With possible noise makers or signal absorbers.

Is the PLM in the same outlet or circuit as your computer equipment? Many computer power supplies can absorb Insteon signals and make them weak. Also if the PLM is in a surge strip. Some have noise filters in them that also absorb Insteon signals as noise.

If you look in the Program Tab of the Administrative Console. You will probably see a 3:00 AM query of My Lighting. If any of the modules don't get back to the Query. The next time you open the Console you will see that Error Message.

Have you tried the Scene Tests in Diagnostics? Sometimes it can show communications problems for you.

Archived